1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC 5100, 5200 related to P3191

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Jul 18, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First ever problem with my Prius after 7 years. I was driving at about 30 mph when the car lost motive power and the dash lit up with the red triangle and multiple other icons (picture upon request ;) )
    The car did not shut down.

I pulled over and shut the car down, then powered up IG-ON after a couple of minutes and saw the same dash display. My SG reported DTC P3191 which I cleared. When I restarted the car no alarms lit up on the dash display, but the ICE would not rev when I pressed the accelerator in either park or neutral. At that point I had the car towed to the dealership. I gather P3191 lights up when a problem with fuel delivery occurs.

The mechanic strikes me as quite competent (thank you!) and thinks the malfunction is related to software in the ECU and hybrid CU (?). I gather Toyota has SSCs 5100 and 5200 on the subject (reported as P50 on the invoice), and authorizes reprogramming if a problem occurs. When I pick up the car I'll request other DTCs and frame data. He also noted that the air-fuel ratio sensor wire was exposed from likely rodent gnawing on the insulation. He did not think the sensor was causing a problem related to P3191, and only recommended replacement in the near future. Any dissenting opinions that the wire may have triggered the software bug ?

If I can forward to the mechanic any questions PC might have, let me know in the next couple of hours.

PC has one other thread re: P3191
    code P3191 - PriusChat Forums related to the G1 Prius.

p.s., it can be disconcerting to have a bunch of lights and the big red triangle, and not have a clue what the problem is. Between my scangauge and iPad with internet access, I was able to gather enough information to act reasonably (I hope) and not feel out of sorts. That was actually pretty cool.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sage, I seriously doubt this is a software problem, otherwise, you would have had this come up much sooner?

Things to have mech check are, fuel pressure, engine oil level (overfill, not likely), MAF, throttle plate stuck shut.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Seilerts,

I responded to your PM, thanks.
    The mechanic suggested that a malfunctioning PCV, dirty MAF, spark plugs or stuck throttle plate as causes, but I have replaced or cleaned all of these in the past 6 months. I am pretty sure I overtightened the PCV valve when I installed it; do you think it might malfunction as a result ? The mechanic did say that oil had pooled in the throttle body, and since I do the oil exchanges I know that over-filling is not the root cause.

I added a few more details to my OP.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suppose they should test the PCV valve, though if it was over-tightened, it seems like the worst case would be a small vacuum leak, or maybe that is the source of the pool of oil in the throttle body. It seems like that would give you P3190 and/or P030x before getting P3191, which is an abrupt out-of-gas type of failure.

Mouse chewage on A/F usually causes P0420 or other A/F open/ground codes. I don't think it is related. On the RAV, I have been wrapping the A/F wires in electrical tape for years -- there is nothing left of the original insulation.

But that raises the possibility that mice have been chewing on the main engine wiring harness, MAF wiring, fuel pump wiring etc. It shouldn't be too hard for the tech to figure out.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Seilerts,
    Now that sounds like a smart, inexpensive repair rather than replacement. Do you know if I can reach the wire from below the car to apply the tape ? I presume the mechanic saw the problem from underneath the car, but I am not sure.

The mechanic did not think that a too tight PCV valve would cause the oil spooling unless I cracked the manifold cover, in which case an obvious leak would be evident. He also doubted a too tight PCV valve insertion would trip the P3191 code.

By the way, the service campaign is P50 on the invoice, not 5100 I thought he told me on the tele. OP corrected.

6. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Sage brush, SO Can I get this right? Your car was fixed with this programming of ecu's? What years your car, OR was your car?

As I have a similar problem I am trying to rectify...