1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC-60C Replacement car provided?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Suitt, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I have received my SSC-60C Safety Recall Notice regarding the steering intermediate shaft and plan to have the procedure performed at my upcoming 20,000-mile service. I also intend to have the upper glove box lift springs and dash warping problem addressed at the same time - the problem which prevents the upper glove box lid from being held open due to springs disengaging from or breaking tabs which secure them and causing some warpage in the dash above.

My question: Does Toyota Motor Corp. expect or require the Dealer to provide a replacement car while performing this Safety Recall procedure? ...Or... is that dependent on an individual Dealer's policy?

While I have been satisfied with my Dealer's past service, they did not provide a replacement car on the recent computer flash service (SSC-50P) which makes me curious about this recall.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope, no requirement to provide alternate transportation exists AFAIK. I've never used a dealership that has that "feature." Is that a fairly standard practice where you live?

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to provide a geographic spread for answers:

There are two Toyota dealers within 40 miles neither will provide you with a car although the one closest to me will give me a ride home and pick me up when they are done.

There are two Honda dealers one will do nothing for you, the other will give you a car to drive but only if you bought your car from them.

I don't think any of the others around here will provide a car, some may give you a ride.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the dealerships have transport services in our area but no "free rental".

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 3 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]280611[/snapback]</div>
    Same here, I have never heard of a dealer giving out a loaner...... The closest dealer to me is 5 miles and they offer a courtesy shuttle ride (06 Seinna van) home and pick you up when the work is finnished during business hours.

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Longo Toyota (El Monte, CA) told me that they will issue a loaner only and only IF it's a safety hazard. At the same time, they told me that there's no loaner for recall notices. Hmmmm?

Either way, i'm okay without the Prius for a few days...

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Hi silentak1

The SSC-60C is labeled "SAFETY RECALL NOTICE"

The use of this specific language tweaked my curiosity regarding the free loaner.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My previous car was a Honda, purchased at the now-defunct Russ Honda West, in Fargo. They gave me a loaner even if I was just in for a 1/2-hour oil change.

Then I got the Prius, and the dealer would give no loaner for routine service, but gave me a loaner for one of the computer-reprogramming SSCs. Otherwise they offered a "courtesy ride" on an extremely slow turn-around schedule.

Here in Spokane I've never been offered a loaner. They, too, offer a courtesy ride, but up to now I've just brought a book and waited.

P.S. I quit using the courtesy ride in Fargo when the driver ran a red light while studying his list of addresses while driving. I asked to be let out immediately and called for a taxi to take me home. -- In any case, I get car sick, and I'd rather pay a taxi to take me straight home rather than a free ride that will take a round-about route and double the time.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sheesh, throw a bicycle in the back and enjoy a little tour around
    the area while your car's being worked on. Beats the crap out of
    being trapped in a dealer waiting area with that huge, obnoxious
    TV and all the alpha-state dullards drooling in front of it.
    _H*

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 3 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]280753[/snapback]</div>
    If the TV gets too annoying to read, they let me sit in the showroom. There's no way I'm going to ride a bicycle downtown. Last time there were only two of us in there, both reading books, and I just shut the TV off. But I do need to remember to bring my tv-b-gone next time, just in case.

11. saechaka

saechaka Member

i go to bob bridge toyota in renton, wa. and they provided me a loaner when i did the last recall and will do the same. they even gave me a loaner once when i did an oil change when i left it overnight. just a heads up to anyone who wants to find a good dealer in the seattle area

12. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went for the recall and was at the dealer for less than 1 hour.

If you have a good relationship, and need a car , or a ride to work, they should stive to make you happy!

13. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

The dealer, Conicelli in Springfield, PA, offers shuttle rides, with a limit of 5 miles. That is 4.4 from their place to my house. Works for me since I have another car.