1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC 90L Pedal Modification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bear68, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Calling all Gen 2 Prius owners,,,, The templates have arrived for the SSC 90L pedal modification. Please be sure to call ahead to your local dealership and make appointments if possible to avoid overloading the techs!!

Here is the SSC in a nutshell. The tech will remove your accel pedal, using a special template, he/she will mark it, then cut it, then sand the end smooth, reshaping the end to a nice curve. The intent is to shorten the actual pedal, increasing the car between the pedal and the floor, thereby eliminating the chance for the floor mat to interfere with the pedal. The process should take about 60-90 minutes. Simple and very straightforward, these modifications are nearly identical to the ones techs have been doing for the last several weeks on Camrys, Avalons, and Hybrid Highlanders, thereby giving them lots of practice before they will now be attacking your Prius!

4 people like this.
  2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the informative post.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Approximately how much of the pedal do they remove? 3mm? 6mm? 10mm? More?

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that a major piece for limiting pedal throw is the plastic
    bump on the backside near the bottom that hits the physical floor
    of the footwell, removing enough of the pedal to remove that bump
    will result in the only "stopper" being the swing-arm housing
    itself when the driver puts his foot in it. That is not nearly
    as structural, and would probably result in premature destruction
    of the housing and pivot assembly.
    This "fix" may actually create a greater safety risk.
    _H*

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can count the number of times I've actually floored the accel pedal on one hand, so I may forgo the mod on my car.

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure I'll skip the mod. I have the correct floormats, they're hooked on the retainer clips, and there's no physical way they can come in contact with the pedal.

1 person likes this.
  7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not sure about the Prius but a friend had his Camry pedal done. He said that they trimmed the pedal and also removed some insulation under the carpet where the pedal strikes the floor.

He said that it looks like crap to him and if he had known what if was going to look like he would have opted out of the recall. He said he has the correct mats and they are secured so he did not see a problem.

It sounds like from the post above that the Prius does not have the insulation removed from under the carpet. Is this correct?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hack job! ;)

I have the carpeted floor mats, properly secured. There is no way the peddle can get stuck (try it yourself with the car off - by hand so you can see what's what).

In winter I add Weathertech soft rubber mats -on top of- the secured carpeted mats. These are "generic" mats that were used in the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD). I put the passenger side one on the drivers side so the mat goes -fully- under the peddle and the cutout fits perfectly around the "dead peddle so the mat can't move. . There are NO edges to catch, and in testing, there is -NO WAY- the peddle can jam! Yup, you will loose a bit of throttle travel, but if you are using full throttle in the winter you have "other issues". ;)

Take your cars in to Toyota if you like, but they -ARE NOT- messing up MY peddle!

1 person likes this.
  9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Here is the break down so far for this SSC:

Avalon and NonHybrid Camry: Cut pedal (removing about 3/4 inch) replace the foam tibia pad under the carpet with a redesigned pad, add a rubber stopper pad under the carpet where the accel pedal will contact the floor, and reflash the ECM to allow for a brake/throttle override software program

Hybrid Camry: Cut pedal (same amount) and replace foam tibia pad and add rubber stopper pad.

Hybrid Highlander: Cut pedal only.(same amount)

2nd Gen Prius: Cut pedal only. (same amount)
    (I will post pics soon of a modified Prius pedal)

Hybrids do NOT require a computer reflash since the brake/throttle override is inherently part of their original programming. The small amount that is removed from the bottom of the pedal does NOT affect the structural strength of the pedal and does NOT change the back of the pedal where it contacts the floor at Wide Open Throttle position. For those who choose not to have this campaign performed, hopefully the information I am posting will help everyone to make informed decisions. I will not offer judgement on anyone's decision one way or the other, and will happily continue to offer information and assistance to any and all who ask. (provided I have the ability, that is....:D)

3 people like this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bear,

Thanks for providing the details behind this SSC. Regarding Highlander Hybrid, the Toyota website does not show that model as included in the recalls:
    Toyota Recall Information ? Camry ? Corolla ? Highlander ? RAV4

I recall that when this recall was announced last year, a new accelerator pedal assembly was supposed to become available, at some point in the future. Had you heard about this?

If yes, when do you expect that new assembly will enter the parts logistics system in quantity so that dealers can order it?

11. Bear68

Bear68 Member

08-10 Highlander Hybrids ARE included in this SSC. Here is the official list so far for the 90L campaign
    2007-2010 Camry and Camry Hybrid (Denso Pedal)
    2007-2010 Camry (CTS Pedal)
    2005-2010 Avalon
    2008-2010 Highlander HV
    2004-2009 Prius

For the AOA campaign which involves adding a reinforcement bar/shim to the CTS made accel pedals, some of these cars are also under the 90L and some of the rest of them will be included in the near future.

05-10 Avalon
    09-10 Corolla
    07-10 Camry (with CTSpedal)
    2010 Highlander Non HV
    09-10 Matrix
    08-10 Sequoia
    09-10 Rav4
    07-10 Tundra

2 people like this.
  12. Bear68

Bear68 Member

If a customer is unsatisfied with the appearance of the modified pedal, or simply chooses not have their pedal modified, they may request replacement of the accelerator pedal under warranty. The dealership will then order a new pedal. This is done on a case by case basis and at this time, we have been told that no further plans are in the works for pedal replacement. The pedal modification is intended as a permanent solution, not a "stopgap" until new pedals are available. Redesigned pedals are now being installed at the factories and as stated above, are available upon customer request.

3 people like this.
  13. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Just an added thought, once the pedal has been cut and sanded to smooth and round out the surface on the cut section, we (the techs at my shop) decided the color no longer matched as nicely. Careful application of a Sharpie marker makes the cut area look much nicer, and if you REALLY want to disguise the fresh surface, use a little bit of black FIPG. (Form In Place Gasket material, it is used to seal oil pans) Just be sure to wipe it on sparingly, then using a paper towel wipe it as clean as possible. This is to avoid getting any black color on the carpet, but the cut area is then nearly impossible to spot.

2 people like this.
  14. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just to apologize in case Bear thinks I was a bit too sarcastic, it's my reaction to the public and media response to this nonsense, not Toyota's solution and application.

But I'm still sure there is no problem, and as an experienced tech. I know the first thing I must do is NOT fix things that aren't broke. ;)

2 people like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. 04 and 08 pri, 08 hycam, not going within 10 miles of a dealer. prefer russian roulette.:eek:

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the revised all-weather mats ever become available, I might ask for new mats plus a new accelerator pedal to be installed. I haven't even received a mail notice from Toyota regarding the Prius accelerator pedal modification, so it sounds like Bear's dealership is way ahead.

17. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do you know who makes the replacement pedal assembly? If it's not made by Denso, I think I'd stick with the one that came with the car. I don't think the 3/4" you're cutting off is a big deal.

18. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Now THAT is funny. We in Canada are usually WAY behind what happens in the US. I got my notice last month (and reported on here what it said).

Maybe they forgot about you Patrick. ;)

19. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't received the notice either after getting the initial one last fall. The first notice advised to remove the driver side mat completely; this was not a reasonable request as anyone who opted for the bisque interior color would know.

I would like the revised front mats because I wore through the drivers side and had to repair it, but I would just as soon keep the original pedal.

I may get the WeatherTech floor liners instead when I have the cash to do so because they probably would work well for my situation.

20. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not received a recall notice either. I received the initial notice about removing the floor mat, but that's been it.