1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC50P

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scrubjay1, Jan 20, 2006.

1. scrubjay1

scrubjay1 New Member

:angry: Ever since the SSC50P, mileage has been lower. It dropped from 52 mpg to 42, then has slowly come up, but is hanging around 48. Tire pressure is checked regularly. Temps are the same as last year at this time. It's been a month since the service. The service manager says it couldn't be the service. It must be the gas or the weather. He says I'm the only one that has complained. Please give me some feedback on this.

2. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's an "SSC50P"? If it's a servicing, could it be that they overfilled your oil during the change, and you've been burning it off?

Dave

3. scrubjay1

scrubjay1 New Member

The SSC50P is the special service campaign that recalled some late 2004s and early 2005s to reset computers because of stalling problems on some cars.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I've had the 50P service/reprogram (for the stalling issue) done about 2,000 miles ago. Still at 46 MPG, with a couple of tanks at 41 MPG. But weather has a big influence here (cold @ 10 degrees F or colder, then 50 degrees the next day!) Plus I'm running snow tires that make the car stickier, for lack of a better term. Car just sems to not roll as easy, engine works just slightly harder to get me going, etc.

In short, can't wait for warmer temps and regular tires!

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine was done about 2000 miles ago and I have noticed no change in mileage or performance.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Since I got the update I've had a big increase in mpg. On warm days with slow trips I am almost getting my best summer mpg but with winter gas!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give it a 1,000 miles to return to "original" state. Let the computers sort themselves out and adapt to your driving style.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i knew this would come up. as did a lot of the techs at the dealerships.

the "is it SSC 50P or is it low temps/winter formula gas?" question.

any other things done? tire rotation, new tires, etc? my guess is winter formula gas, but posting your location will help.

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with any search for the genesis of a problem is the fact that multiple factors are usually causing the problem you want to solve. In this instance the recall occured about the same time that many areas move over to winter gas. On top of that colder temperatures, worse road conditions all work against high mileage.

I have not experienced any significant change in mileage since the SSC was done. I'm however experiencing my normal fall/winter mileage drop, which is pretty significant for me. I expect that my mileage will increase as spring comes and I will probably get better mileage this next spring/summer than I did last year. However I don't think there is any connection between the SSC and a mileage drop. I'm totally inclined to believe that any mileage drop you are experiencing right now is based on the time of year it is.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If there was any effect the 50P improved my mileage. I'd like to think it's just me getting smarter thought :)

Certainly no bad effect.

11. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My mileage is down as well since the SSC was performed about 4 weeks ago.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I did a similar update. The Canadian version (whatever that code is. We tend to have longer code names) back in Dec 19. So far so good.