1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stability Control System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tnt71, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tnt71

tnt71 Junior Member

Just picked up my 2011 Prius. It only has 75 miles on it. I noticed that when the car is at a dead stop, if I push the brake down too hard, the stability control system kicks in and the yellow light flashes. Then when I release the brake it seems as if the brakes are still engaged for a second or so before they release. I noticed it as soon as I pulled out of my parking spot the first time. It seems to have gotten better since the first day but it is still there. Anyone else have this issue?

2. dhs

dhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is the hill assist breaking. It ensures the car will not roll back as you start to move. You engage it by holding the bread down for one second when the car is stopped.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As dhs said, it is the hill assist feature. Feel free to read the owner's manual front to back... it has a lot of good information.

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it is engaged by depressing the brake pedal (not the bread pedal, as that is to mushy to do much good :D). However, the actual way it engages is by pressing the brake pedal all the way down, as in once you've already stopped. Sometimes, you need to then ease off the pedal slightly, and depress it to the bottom one more time to engage the Hill Climb Assist.

To disengage it, there are three options:
    1.) You must depress the pedal again to the end
    2.) Simply remove your foot from the brake, and in about 2 seconds, you will hear a slight beep, and it releases the brakes (and turns off the brake lights which remain lit until it's disengaged)
    3.) Press the accelerator (after taking foot of brake) to release.

It's designed to allow you to not roll back when starting on an incline. I also use it often to prevent me from jumping the gun at a red light again (Damned traffic cameras), when a turn arrow goes green.

I hope that this sheds some light on this for you. Welcome to the Prius!:welcome:

5. User37

User37 Can spell PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill Assist works in reverse, too. My parking spot is declining (forwards) so when reversing out of the spot the HA helps a lot

- Olaf

6. tnt71

tnt71 Junior Member

Thanks for all the good info. I thought it needed service already. I had a 2006 Prius. This one is much different. It has the strangest feeling brake pedal I have ever used.

I did peruse the manual but I skimmed certain sections. Most of the manual is written for idiots. Really, do we need a section on drinking and driving?

7. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the manual is written for idiots. Really, do we need a section on drinking and driving?[/QUOTE]

Yup........sure do......especially this section. It's written just for idiots. !!:):)