1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stability Control vs. Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by tcooper185, Sep 27, 2007.

1. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shopping for a Camry Hybrid, and a feature that I really wanted on my regular Camry was the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). Shopping at BuyAToyota.com, I can't find a TCH that has VSC, only the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM).

Does VDIM replace VSC? On the features page at the Toyota website under Safety it lists the TCH as having VSC standard, as well as VDIM (and the TCH is the only one with VDIM).

Anyone know? The salesman, surprise surprise, didn't know...only told me the car on the lot doesn't have VSC.

Thanks!
    Tim

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, VDIM is the next step up from VSC...I don't, at this moment, recall exactly what else the VDIM does that VSC doesn't, but it's better and does all the stuff VSC did and then some.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VDIM combines TRAC, VSC, ABS w/EBD and BA (Brake Assist) and controls each of them from central computer. This means the benefits from each unit can be used to the maximum at the same time by the same computer sending out the signal.

VDIM also adjusts the steering angle if necessary (very very slightly) to correct the skid (oversteer or understeer). e.g. if you were powering out of a corner and the steering wheel is turned too far for proper traction.

Also, because it's a central computer, it can monitor each unit and thus react faster. With VSC, it kicks in only after the car starts sliding or spinning. It's less intrusive, yes but for everyday world, it can be scary (Doing a test on a snow covered road, I can get the car's tail to slide out while the car incessantly beeps and tries to get the car back into line).

With VDIM, it'll react and correct before you even know it. If you were to test the system and intentionally invoke oversteer, you'll be out of the skid before you even react to turning the wheel to the opposite side to counter the spin that you were anticipating.

I can attest both work as I did two tests with the TCH on a dry open parking lot. I did a hard sweeping right at 60km/h and the car kept its line until I straightened out. Normally, this would induce understeer.

I also did a lane change maoeuvre also at 60km/h. It was to be a right-left change. The car understeered for a split second as I yanked the wheel to the right under full braking (two feet on the brake pedal). Other than the tyre screeching, it was pretty undramatic.

Oh and no worries, the TCH survived. No smoke from the brakes or burning smell. (unlike the Prius which we tested next).