1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stalling engine on the 2002

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cartrouble, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Cartrouble

Cartrouble New Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a 2002 Prius and have been having problems ever since the battery recall. The dealership changed the recalled battery and ever since then, I've been having nothing but problems. First of all, they shorted my radio and I have been back 5 times for them to fix my cd player which they finally took out and sent out to be fixed.

But the major problem is that every so often, the dashboard will light up with the problem lights and the engine will sputter and stall. Usually, I wait a few minutes and try it again. Sometimes I have to try this many times until it works. I've taken my car into Toyota and the first time, they said no code was coming up, everything is fine. The second time, they said it may be something with the fuel tank and I may need to replace the fuel tank but they really weren't sure. They said it would cost around $1500!!

The weird thing is that sometimes the lights go away and the car acts fine. But then will come back for a couple of days. Yesterday, we were getting in the car to come home and the dashboard lights came on and the car would not start. After a few minutes it was fine although the lights were still on but the car slowed down to about 30 miles an hour, even though the gas pedal was floored. We pulled off the road and waited a bit and the car resumed to normal...dash lights still on though.

Has anyone had a the same problem. Please help, I don't want to take it back to Toyota and have them say everything is fine when it's clearly not!

Thanks so much for any info!!

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cartrouble @ Jan 1 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]369280[/snapback]</div>

Sounds to me like a blocked fuel line, or dirt in the tank (sadly, Prii are not completely immune to "normal" car problems :( )

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eek. where in nc are you?

one of the tough things about diagnosing classic prius is that the trouble codes will clear after 40 drive cycles, which in the case of these cars is 40 times that the engine turns on and shuts off. the sooner you get it to someone with a scantool when that happens, the better.

if they weren't sure, it's a good thing that you declined to have the work done. find someone who can diagnose your car correctly and then tell you what needs to be done without guessing.