1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stalling on the Chicago Skyway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bojojohn, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in the midst of an adventure...although not by my own choosing.

I left Pittsburgh on Sunday at 1pm to see my mom who is in the hospital unexpectedly in Eau Claire, WI. My 2004 Prius has made this trip before and now has 44,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with it before.

I got as far as the Chicago Skyway (I-90 West) when I lost all power. All the lights came on and "Problem" showed on the display screen. I was only going about 15 miles per hour because of the weekend traffic, so I was able to mosey over to the shoulder and a nice officer was helping out another car that was pulled over. I got out the manual and it just basically said "stop and take it to your Toyota dealer". Well, since my dealer is in Pittsburgh, I called AAA to ask them where I should go and could they find a motel near where I could stay over since the dealer/service wouldn't be open until this morning. I am now typing from a workstation at the River Oaks Toyota dealership in South Holland IL.

They haven't looked at the Prius yet but they seemed to know the symptoms of the problem.

I've looked online here and have seen reports of "inverter" to "new transmission". I have no idea what the problem is. I just know that I have to get back on the road and get to my mom.

I'll update when I know more.

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Victorria,

So sorry to hear about your problem. Do get the diagnostic codes and subcodes from the dealer, they should have them by now, and post back.

Wayne

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume you still had gas? Running out of gas will produce that type of problem.

Tom

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was your fuel situation? Sounds like you might have ran out of fuel.

5. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 9 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]475503[/snapback]</div>

Yep, had just topped off two stops before. Had gone 120 miles and was sitting in traffic through the tolls.

I wish I had seen that Libertyville Toyota was having a Prius gathering next weekend. One of the options that AAA gave me was to tow me to that dealer although it was quite a ways away from where I'm at now.

Waiting, still waiting...they haven't looked at it yet.
    Victorria

6. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did your car get the software update allready?
    If I remember correctly, there was a stall problem with the earlier series of the Prius II, which was corrected by the update.

7. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Jul 9 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]475514[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know--I bought it used last June. the dealer didn't have any of that information and I didn't know enough to ask. BUT. I did have the steering shaft mechanism replaced per the recall about 3 months ago. Is the software update situation part of a recall?

Victorria

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Jul 9 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]475514[/snapback]</div>
    That could be it. They would stall suddenly when traveling at highway speeds. You had to go through a reboot sequence to get it running again.

Tom

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Victorria @ Jul 9 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]475510[/snapback]</div>
    What about bad gas?
    How does someone have their gasoline tested for water or other pollutants?

I'm just throwing out ideas while the mechanics are looking at the car. With that angle hopefully covered, we can consider other angles.

10. ohershey

ohershey New Member

11. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 9 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]475603[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks--I'll check into it. Seven hours later and I'm still here. The car didn't go in until noon. It's now 2:45. Tech leaves at 4:30--I may be staying here in Chicago again tonight.

I guess there were a bunch of codes generated but they won't tell me anything specific. They are going through them all now.

Victorria

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Victoria,
    I wish I were closer to where you are; I would gladly pick you up and at the very least buy you dinner to make your Chicago stay a little nicer. But actually Libertyville is considerably closer to me.

Sorry about the inconvenience.
    Welcome to Chicago! ;)

13. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 9 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]475713[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tony! I appreciate that!

14. Priusaurus110

Priusaurus110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Victorria: I had a very similar experience with my early 2005 model (and I was also 900 miles from home). My problem was traced to an electronic stability control malfunction. Scary part was that the tech did nothing more than clear the code and could never find a reason for the original malfunction, and could never duplicate the problem.

Of course, there are dozens of problems that could cause symptoms that you had. I made the mistake of not getting the specific scan codes for my problem (I blame it on the stress of being stranded!), but it would be of value to the 'Chat community if you coould get yours.

Good luck!

15. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Priusaurus110 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]475959[/snapback]</div>
    I will definitely try. I finally got to talk to the tech last night as they put me in a rental car and sent me off to the hotel. The patch is in, so it's not that problem. He, however, is reluctant to reboot the computer because he's afraid he'll lose all communication with the error codes that have been generated. He has been going through each one individually. He is going to check with tech support as well. He questioned me about the Sirius Satellite radio that I have on my dashboard--although that only has a line-in to the FM transmitter so I really doubt that it malfunctioned the car. He said that he worries about anyone making their own mods to the Prius since it can be so tempermental. [Whatever.] He was, however, a very nice guy who was very concerned and when I told him I was stranded and not from here, and that my mom was in the hospital it seemed to resonate.

Thanks for all the concern and help. I will keep posting an update.
    Victorria

16. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, dealer just called me at the hotel. They need to replace THE COMPUTER!!!! Thank GOD it is under warranty--I couldn't afford a $3,000 part. And they are trying to rush order it overnight but that is not guaranteed. Looks like I will be renting a vehicle and getting to Wisconsin so I can help my mom, and then will pick it up on the way back.

I will ask for the codes when I get to the dealer.

Victorria

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More importantly, how is your mom?

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Victorria @ Jul 10 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]476115[/snapback]</div>
    The $3000 part is normally about $400 for a refurbished unit, so it's not as bad as it seems. Still, it's better to have it under warranty.

Tom

Edit - It occurs to me that I don't know which computer. I was thinking MFD, but any of the ECUs could be considered a computer too.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there are lots of computers... let us know what one they replaced. good luck with the rest of your trip, forget the car, focus on your mom :)

20. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Victorria @ Jul 10 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]476115[/snapback]</div>
    A good idea, mom first. But do try and talk to the tech and have him drive your car a bit while your gone to make sure it was the "computer" (whichever one) that was the real problem.

wayne