1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Standard" Stereo improvement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Warwind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are a lot of threads about how to improve the sound of the stereo system. Mine sounds a little fuzzy at times. So I was wondering if anyone had simply had all the speakers in the car replaced with better ones? If so, did that make any difference? If so, where did you go to have that done, and what did you replace them with?

The last time I had a stereo put in a car, I went to Circuit City and they did a great job. I don't really want to mess with the stereo itself, so I was thinking better speakers might be the answer.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Thanks!

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Originally I replaced all four speakers with the Infinity Kappa 62.7i and it did wonders. The sound was much more clear and had decent bass, but still lacked some kick. After I changed my headunit, the difference was even more spectacular.

I think I paid close to $150 for the speakers and $50 for labor. You could do it yourself since each speaker only has two (simple) wires. The two 'challenges' that you might encounter are: removing the door panel and drilling the new speaker into the door's frame.

Removing the door panel is a breeze if you pull with some force (and remove 2 screws). Drilling will require a power driver... unless you could find a speaker door mount kit! By the way, I highly recommend that you stop by a local shop and buy the Dynamat Xtreme speaker kits because they make some rattles go away.

I'm looking into adding an amp to the speakers, the Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer, and perhaps change the tweeters for a better experience.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) In numerous posts over the last couple of years, many have found that disconnecting the center speaker [above the MFD] made the JBL "9-speaker" system sound better by making the stereo seperation more evident.

Yesterday, I disconnected the center speaker and can't really notice a lot of difference yet. It's an easy mod. You can remove the center speaker by getting your fingernails under the side of the grill and pull it up and toward you. The speaker is attached. Disconnect the white 2-wire connector [you will need to press down on the 'catch' on top of the connector] and replace the speaker [now inactive]. If you prefer it connected, it's easy to re-connect.

4. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't have a center speaker above my MFD--not that I can see anyhow. I have two front-pillar speakers, two in the front doors, and two in the rear doors.

I finally loaded 4 gig of music into my mp3 player, and I've discovered that some of the songs sound really great, and others sound horribly fuzzy. So I might be blaming my speakers when in reality some of the songs I have were probably ripped at a low-quality rate.

I'll do a quick test over the weekend with some highest-quality mp3's and see how they sound.

5. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov 17 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]351171[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you there. I have also noticed that certain songs just don't sound like they ought to. Stock stereo systems are junk.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 16 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]350631[/snapback]</div>
    With a new headunit, do you lose the MFD and steering wheel controls? Or is there a way to keep those with an aftermarket system? Thanks.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Warwind

If I recall "packages" correctly, the Package 2 has the "standard" sound system rather than the JBL sound system [9 speakers & 6-CD changer]. That being the case you might not have a center speaker atop the MFD. Looks like you had to go to Package 5 or above for the other system.

Package #2 Includes Rear Backup Camera;
    -Smart Key System
    -Am/Fm Cd W/6 Speakers
    -Aux Audio Input Miniplug
    -And Mp3/Wma Playback Capability

Package #5 Includes JBL Am/Fm 6-Disc
    -Cd Changer W/9 Speakers
    -Front And Rear Side Curtain Airbags
    -Smart Key System
    -Aux Audio Jack
    -Vehicle Stability Control
    -Mp3/Wma Playback Capability
    -And Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth
    -Rear Backup Camera
    -Driver And Front Passenger Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
    -Anti-Theft System
    -Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror With Homelink

8. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I felt the same way about the stock system. I replaced the stock speakers with 4 6.5" aftermarket pioneers (TS-G1641R or something similar from Best Buy). The sound was alot better. I had much better 'highs' after doing the upgrade. Not a great system but much better than the original speakers.

I did the install myself... not too hard. Pull out the old ones... in with the new ones. Only thing was trouble for me was figuring out which wire was + and which was - Still not sure if I have it right but it sounded 'best' the way I hooked it up.

-Peter B

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Nov 18 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]351471[/snapback]</div>
    There's a wiring diagram in the PDF attached to this topic

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9542&hl=sparky

I'm thinking new speakers are in my future, too, I have the base single CD system.

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 18 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]351378[/snapback]</div>
    I only lost the "Audio" steering wheel controls. The rest of the steering buttons work.

I didn't lose the MFD. I had the audio installed perform a hack to allow the MFD to work as a stand-alone unit.
    Link to Hack

11. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tonight I finally figured out why my mp3 player (Garmin nuvi 350) sounded so fuzzy playing through my stock stereo system.

When I first got the nuvi, I connected it directly to the audio in jack in the center console. There was an electrical hum coming over the speakers, so to try to minimize this, I turned the volume on the nuvi all the way up, and turned the stereo volume down, so as to make the music louder than the hum, which sounded better.

Later, I read about ground loop isolators, bought one, and it took care of the hum. But I never adjusted the volume on my nuvi from being turned up all the way.

Tonight I brought it into work with me to listen to some songs, and had to turn down the volume to use my headphones. When I got back in my car, the music suddenly sounded really good. So the volume being turned up full blast was the cause of the fuzziness. <bangs head on desk>

It actually sounds really good now. B)