1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Standard stereo vs JBL upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by leeskarha, Jun 13, 2005.

1. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

Can the base stereo display CD Text like the JBL upgraded stereo?

What are other differences in the head unit, other then the 6 CD changer?
    Thanks,
    -Lee

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Tape player. The rest of the difference is in the amp/speaker arrangement.

3. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

The standard stereo can display CD Text. Other then the amp/speaker differences, I've also heard that in the JBL system the beep's (from when you touch the MFD) come from all speakers not just the frons. This would annoy the hell out of me I think.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, that's true. The tone generator is in the amp.

5. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

So if I install a new amp in the base system (with new speakers) what happens to the beeps. Do they get so loud it will drive me nuts? Or are they a constant loudness, more in the background? Can I turn them off?
    -Lee

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

On the base system, they come out of the front speaker outputs of the head unit. So if you amplify that, yes, they will be louder. And it is fixed volume.

Turn them off? Many have tried, many have failed. Don't think anyone's taken the radio apart though.

7. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

Has anyone added an amp to the base system before. How loud do the beeps get? This is an option I am looking at doing.
    Thanks,
    -Lee

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It all depends on how much amplification the extra amp is doing.
    You could have only the rear speakers amplified, maybe add tweeters to the rear, then adjust the fader to balance out the front/rear sound ratio. Since the beeps only come out of the front speakers, as I understand it, they won't be amplified.

However, you may instead want to consider just adding a subwoofer. A sub won't amplify the beeps, as the beeps would be out of the frequency range the sub would be handling. Many have said the stock radio is clean, just a bit low on the bottom end, which a sub would supplement nicely.

9. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:52 am Post subject:
    hi DanMan,

This isn't my thread but thanks for your insights here - i'm doing alot of browsing the last few days and expecting to take acquisition of a Prius in a couple weeks.

Question for you- do you know offhand if the standard radio cavity dimensions (and/or radio dimensions themself) are same as the cavity/radio dimensions for the JBL deck?

My first pref is to just replace the whole standard radio (and forfeit steering wheel controls) with either an Alpine or Kenwood unit in particular but still not sure on the feasibility of this option?

The selected installer who would do the work (as well as replacing speakers and adding external amp) has only said he'd have to make hands-on assessment once i bring in the vehicle to verify a working fit, but thinks it could be done.

My thanks in advance for any reply!

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't know. Haven't seen a stock system, as I have JBL myself. I believe it is single DIN, but the faceplate is translucent, so you should be able to make out the metal box of the actual head unit to determine this yourself when you get yours. Not sure if standard DIN faceplate for the dash is available yet to accomodate an aftermarket radio. You may want to check with an installer. I did for my Saturn, and was pleasantly suprised there was one for that, though there were much more Saturns out there, and for a longer period of time.

11. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

If I understamd the question correctly, your asking if the standard (non-JBL) radio that comes with the Prius is the same dimensions as the JBL stereo that comes with the Prius?

If so, then the answer is yes. The form factor of both units are the same. I originally was going to replace my standard unit with the JBL in dash-6 but then discovered that the JBL unit cost $1500 from the Parts dept. Plus, I didn't know if I would be able to plug it in without the JBL amp, but unfortunately, I discovered this after I had already pulled out the deck.

You'll probably also have to find a face plate that would work in the Prius though. It looked like the Prius units were dual din but the face's aren't standard.

A better option, might be to just install an aftermarket deck in the single din cubby hole beneath the stock head unit.

12. bobc

bobc New Member

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Uh, a solution was discussed, but I don't think any was found. If there was one, can you point to the post that had it, and not just the top of the thread?

14. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

Just to make sure I understand the beep issue.
    On the base system, if I turn up the radio, the beeps get louder too?
    Or to they remain at the same sound level regardless of the radio volume?
    Thanks again,
    -Lee

15. bobc

bobc New Member

Lee,

The beep volume stays the same regardless of the volume of the radio.

The beep volume only increases if you add something between the head unit and the speakers, such as an amp.

Lee and Dan, a solution was found regarding the louder beeps after the installation of an amp. Check out that last post in that thread.

Cheers,

16. HYACK

HYACK New Member

GeekyDragon:

"If I understamd the question correctly...If so, then the answer is yes. A better option, might be to just install an aftermarket deck in the single din cubby hole beneath the stock head unit."

Thanks for reply, GD!

BTW, I just was contacted this morning that the Prius I ordered has arrived.. time to do business now ;)

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

He didn't really get rid of the beeps. He simply didn't add any gain to the front speakers, and compensated for the front/back volume differential by adjusting the fader. Same can be done by not even amping the front speakers in the first place, as I stated.

18. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leeskarha\";p=\"98144)</div>
    lee - i'll post re: my experience with the beeps and an amp this weekend.

i have the base system, have already added new speakers front & back, and will be adding a mini-subwoofer (kenwood ksc-sw1) and amp (alpine mrp-f240) this weekend.

i think i understand the potential 'beep' problem and have a solution - i will be trying two configurations while i have the dash torn apart:

1) connect using all four signals coming out of the head unit (the same as the speakers are currently wired). i'll see how loud the beeping really is... if it's too loud, i'll re-wire per #2 below.

2) connect all four speakers using only the two outgoing rear signals (since the beep signal comes out of the head-end unit to the front signal only - i will lose the front-rear balance, and will fully lose the beep, but i think that's better than loud beeps.

i'll post on sunday with results. :wink:

19. HYACK

HYACK New Member

hey sparky, just curious where you are putting your Alpine amp?

and DanMan, the Amped fronts are where it's at man!! ;)

But maybe someone can try hooking up the car's horn to the front outs so that when when it beeps the horn goes off cancelling the noise! Yeah!!

20. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

both the amp and the mini-sub are going in the rear compartment - i am leaving enough extra wire so i can remove the entire tray in case of a flat tire & need to access below...