1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Safety System and Smart Stop Technology (SST)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by energyandair, Dec 28, 2010.

1. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Toyota Canada website shows the Star Safety System as a new feature in all Canadian 2011 Toyotas. TOYOTA CANADA : Vehicles > 2011 Prius

The most obvious difference is SST and it says:

"As an added measure of safety, Toyota created the braking system enhancement known as Smart Stop Technology. This advanced technology automatically cuts engine power and allows the brakes to take precedence over the accelerator when both pedals are pressed at the same time.
    Smart Stop Technology intervenes when the accelerator is depressed first (Figure 1) and the brakes are applied firmly for longer than one-half second at speeds greater than eight kilometres per hour. (Figure 2)
    In normal driving conditions, you won’t notice Smart Stop Technology as it is imperceptible. The feature doesn’t engage if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This allows for vehicles starting on a steep hill to safety accelerate without rolling backward (known as hill start).
    Toyota’s Star Safety System features our six advanced accident avoidance safety technologies. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every new 2011 vehicle.
    In Canada, all 2011 Toyota models come standard with Smart Stop Technology."

It seems likely that the US models will also have it.

I'm thinking that this forum might be the best place to discuss Star Safety and SST.

See this thread for other Canadian changes: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/88114-canadian-2011-prius.html

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    While it's true the older Prius don't have "Smart Stop Technology", they have the equivalent without the trade name. Install a Scangauge. Watch engine RPM while holding the throttle most of the way down and pressing the brake pedal. The engine drops to idle. Even on the GII.
    Further, both the GII and GIII 2010 vehicles have "brake assist". If you move quickly from throttle to hard braking the car will help you by -fully- applying the brakes (anti-lock still working of course). Don't try this unless you empty the car of all loose items, ensure the occupants are properly belted in, and the road is deserted! It will shock you how fast the Prius can stop!!

I think their press release is to emphasize that the -other- Toyota vehicles will have it now (as per the throttle sticking mods done last year). I suppose they are trying to make up for the bad press that caused.

3. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You could be right. Toyota would certainly want to do what they can to make potential customers feel comfortable whether or not there was really a significant problem beforehand.

It's clear that SST is not the Brake Assist and that it is similar to "brake override" functionality in earlier models . What I'm wondering is:
    1. Is SST is just giving a name to functionality that is exactly the same as that in the 2010 Prius?
    2. Is it basically the same thing but with some further fine tuning or reprogramming?
    3. Is there a significant change that involves more than programming?
    4. If it is different and beneficial, is it something that can and will retroactively be applied to 2010 cars?

4. Victorm

Victorm New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I don't know where to best post this question, but if ANYONE out there can give me an IMMEDIATE response, I will appreciate it.
    My pastor bought a new Prius yesterday, and reading the manual, he found that there is a warning clause about people with pace-makers and the electronics of the vehicle affecting the human body.
    Has ANYONE hear this before or have any info. on this? He is considering getting out of the sale if there is danger to his kids with this, so a quick response will be needed.
    Thanks

5. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Unrelated to this thread but I see that you also posted elsewhere and got reassurance from people who know far more about EMR than I do.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The kooky topic (Prius and "radiation") that just won't die

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gen II Prius already had this, but without the clever name.

Tom