1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek Beyond movie discussion *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Aug 12, 2016.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok. Discuss the movie here. Be warned, there will probably be spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, best to avoid this thread until you have.

One non-spoiler was the huge big second weekend dropoff: Weekend Box Office: 'Star Trek Beyond' Falls 59%, 'Ghostbusters' Tops $155M Worldwide.

One semi-spoiler was I was very surprised to see Alibaba in the opening credits, full screen. I later found out at that they were an investor. I guess it makes sense. I saw Rising in the East - CBS News originally on TV about the booming movie industry there. They said "The movie business is booming across China. Shopping malls have popped up everywhere, and with them, theaters. Twenty-two new movie screens open every day, that's right, every day. In the last five years, box office receipts have grown a staggering 350 per cent!"

Long ago, I also remember hearing about either Star Wars or Star Trek not really catching on in China since people didn't grow up with it there, and people getting confused between Star Wars vs. Star Trek. (UGH!!!)

For me, it certainly wasn't the best Trek movie but nowhere near the worst. It's hard for me to rank it vs. the other two JJ-verse (aka Kelvin Timeline) movies right now. The effects were great along w/the action. I loved the Spock and Bones banter + Scotty.

I was surprised that they'd actually do saucer separation as Kirk only talked about it in TOS, hinting that it was possible. That was amazing w/those crazy hive ships and how they just tore into and tore apart the Enterprise.

I plan to buy it on Blu-ray but I'm not sure what special editions will come out and how they'll differ. I was pretty annoyed by some of the extra content differing between the special editions of Star Trek Into Darkness meant for different retailers, and the only way (IIRC) to get all of it was to either several different special editions or buy it on iTunes.

(I have all the Trek movies, but most are on DVD with only the JJ-verse ones on BD.)

mmmodem likes this.
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Call me jaded. I just love everything Abrams touches. I am not a Star Wars fan, however, he turned me with a Force Awakens. I absolutely loved the last two Trek movies and I set my expectations way down low for Beyond. The movie did not disappoint. It was good but had too many things annoy me.

A computer virus delivered by an old ship that crash landed disabled a networked alien fleet all. Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

Why were the aliens being brought down to the planet? To be used as drones or to be eaten? DW claims there are only 3 of the crew left and the rest of the ships are computer drones. A coworker and I missed this part and mistakenly thought the aliens crash landing on the planet were being conscripted into the alien fleet by the 3 remaining crew members. If we missed that part, geez, can we expand on it and go into how the original Franklin crew found this alien drone technology and turn psycho? Was it a one sentence explanation that I missed? You take this drug, you start looking and speaking alien and forget where you parked your ship?

Otherwise, the rest of the movie was fantastic. I loved the new warp drive visual effects. I enjoyed the opening sequence. I had feeling it would play a major role in the movie just as the previous movies did. Yorktown is a fantastic space station that looked more futuristic than what we see in the 24th century. I loved the homage to stupid gimmicky space things at the end with the odd gravity. I loved how he was able to perfectly grasp the nuance of space station gravity with no prior experience but Kirk want able to.

And the thing that pissed me off the most was of Scotty trying to escape after being cornered at the beginning of the movie. You suddenly see him shooting off in a torpedo. I immediately said to myself did I blink? How did he do that? What's wrong with the pacing of this movie? And then to read that Lin deliberately took out Scotty frantically trying different ways to hide and escape because it ruined the pace of the movie.

Beyond is one of the better Trek movies but the odd pacing makes me wonder how much better it could be in an extended release with some explanation on what happened.