1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek movie discussion thread (please, NO SPOILERS for Star Trek Into Darkness!)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, May 13, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Talk about any of the official Trek movies (I hear that V: The Final Frontier is supposedly non-cannon)...

Anyhow, thanks to a FB post by the Star Trek page, I found out that Star Trek Star Trek Sequel Wraps Production. Wow.

I stumbled across something in the past few weeks about there being a Khan again in the JJ-verse Star Trek (II?). I just found Star Trek 2's Villain Confirmed? - IGN and Benedict Cumberbatch is KHAN in Star Trek 2? | CraveOnline.

I wonder what they will call this 2nd JJ-verse film.

2. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cumberbatch was good in Sherlock and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...but I can't see how he can fill Ricardo Montalban's shoes (or low cut shirt) :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Abrams's lens flare rights have gotten suspended so that the visuals are nicer too!

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm unfamiliar w/that actor and the latter work. However, that title reminded me of Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki, which was a pretty funny ep, IIRC.

Haha about the lens flares. I remember seeing some pieces/documentaries where they (for the non-CGI scenes) had flashlights pointing into the camera to do the lens flares. I didn't mind them that much.

JJ and the writers overall did a great job w/the prequel movie. Most the impersonations (?) of the TOS cast were spot on or made to be pretty funny (e.g. Chekov and Scotty). I loved all the homages/references that hardcore Trekkies would get (e.g. "I'm a doctor, not a physicist", Kirk eating an apple during the Kobayashi Maru test, etc.)

4. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been meaning to start watching Voyager: notice it's on Netflix streaming now. I'll have to watch that episode: must be a nod to the original British book (published in the early 70s) and TV mini-series (which starred Alec Guinness). The new movie has Gary Oldman playing the main character: an agent pressed out of retirement to find a mole within MI6...certainly worth a watch. Cumberbach is a rather thin actor with standard British accent: quite a different presence then Richardo.

When the reboot came out on BD, I did go through the second disc. I did see some of the shorts with Abrams saying how much he loved getting in lens flares (not just real ones, but compositing more and more into each scene). He joked that some of the production crew teased him a bit. I definitely think it was way overdone: especially all the bridge scenes.

When Chekov first appeared in TOS series, he had more of a bit part and most his dialog was the comic relief of anything being "invented by a Russian". I liked how he evolved by the movies (ST II particularly). I thought his character was the weakest of the rebooted characters.

I hope they keep with one timeline...it will be interesting to see how they develop the plot. It probably wouldn't just be Enterprise discovering Botany Bay and Khan trying to take over the ship.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Well, Voyager wasn't that great of a series. I've probably watched 2/3 to 3/4ths of the eps.

The EMH (doctor) and Seven of Nine were probably the two best characters on the show.

6. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't wait for all the Next Generation episodes to come on BD. They will be releasing 2 seasons a year: since the original show was edited on tape, they have to go back and digitally composite all the film stock. But at least in the end it will look better then it ever has before.

So to get back to the movies...I wonder if Paramount will come out with the Director's Cut of TMP. That's the only main movie where I thought the director's cut had a clear improvement from the theatrical version. Rumors are that when they did the new digital effects for it, they only did it for the DVD release (so the new CG was rendered and edited in SD). The studio might have to go back in and update the textures/ rerender the new scenes in HD. I'd buy the BD if they did.

7. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

1 person likes this.
  8. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    LOL!

KHAAAAN - Hopefully JJ-verse's Khan movie has an homage to that. :D

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, JJ, it had better not be a Re-Wrath of Kahn, they did that one already, and that and it's 2 sequels wrapped that up rather neatly.
    Now, I probably more than others, realize that we are now running in a alternate time line, so in effect the slate is wiped clean... No Edith Kieler and the Guardian of Tomorrow, Vulcan's gone, so young Spock has no where to go for Kolinahr the 'rite of passage' thing!
    So is he along for the V'ger story, does V'ger now appear, and not finding Dr. Jackson Roykirk, does that then mean V'ger wins and datastores the planet Earth?

That's what happens whn you start screwing with timelines. This particular aspect of SciFi has been my "Field of Study" as it where. The general theory is alternate timelines usually reconverge, with bad results happening !

Geeze, I can't wait for the movie, I thought "Star Trek" was GREAT, it will be interesting to see what JJ comes up with!

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of the five TV series, TOS and the Next Generation were definitely the best.

I would group Deep Space Nine as nearly as good as the above two.

Voyager and Enterprise were disappointing - not sure which of these I'd put in last place.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  12. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When Enterprise first aired, I thought it was very dissapointing indeed. I watched a few episodes of season 1, and since they only had one formula, I stopped watching it. A friend who kept with it told me that I needed to catch season 4. The show was underperforming, and finally they decided to concentrate with having good writing. It was too late for the series to last, but I would say that season 4 of Enterprise is one of the better spin offs (following STNG). Too bad its previous seasons were so bad!

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Time War" concept was rather well done, sadly it was not enough to keep the show alive!. I do enjoy the reruns!

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Next Generation was my favourite, with Voyager a distant second. Neither Deep Space Nine nor Enterprise really appealed to me. I liked the Original Series, too, as a kid, but it looks pretty hokey in comparison now. The painted styrofoam and caves with flat sandy floors were too obvious even then.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I may be blunt, the introduction of Seven of Nine to Voyager was pandering to the predominately male audience to boost ratings.

Not that I did not enjoy her presence. :D

This classic seems so like Seven of Nine by Greta Garbo

1 person likes this.
  16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, those Borg implants were something to see, weren't they? :rolleyes:

I kept hoping for her older sister Six to make a guest appearance. :p

17. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Seven of Nine is nothing compared to every single episode of TOS where the away team nearly always found planets-of-at-least-one-babe who would fall for Kirk. OK. There might have been exceptions. Truth to be hold, only the inclution of babes made Spock's Brain watchable for me.

Now with the new timeline, I would love to see a new take on some of the TOS classics. Preferably not trouble with tribbles, but anything where Bones can display his comedic genious "I'm surprised, so I will raise my eyebrows"-look will be greatly appreciated.

18. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would tip my hat to the producers if in the next movie, Bones says "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer" :D

19. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah!

He said something like that in this movie... I just watched it on FX the other night. "Dammit, I'm a doctor not a (_____)"

I can't remember now, but I laughed when he said it.

20. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, the new Bones should have the same canon of saying I'm a doctor, not a ___ in every movie. I just thought the bricklayer line was the funniest one of the series. Though just in these clips, the escalator one is very funny!

1 person likes this.