1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start a new thread or bring up old one?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by DumbMike, Sep 29, 2010.

1. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you look at the date of the first post of many of the threads on this message board, you will see that many of them started over a year ago. I'm sure much of the information in those old posts are exactly that: Old. I'm sure much of the information is still relevant today.

I was just reading a thread about 88 octane gas. Come to find out it started some time last year. Maybe it's relevant now, but it sure looked old.

So the question is whether someone should start a new post vs. digging up an old one to add on. One of the issues is that when somebody starts a new thread which had been previously covered, some give the "just search through the old threads" answer. I think that is poor form. So, if you don't want to answer the post because it was previously answered, then do exactly that. Don't answer it.

But there are many people on this board who are very helpful, whether the question was asked once or a hundred times. For those of you who do this, I thank you.

But I also think that even though the issue was previously covered in the past, maybe the information and opinions need to be brought up to date.

And for that matter, maybe the new owners (me) should be made aware of past issues that are currently relevant, without having to read though a bunch of old, irrelevant stuff. Actually, when I first got onto this board, I went back through many of the old posts, just to get an idea of the information that was previously asked. But that was a real pain.

Anyway, I want new people (including me, I guess) to these boards to feel welcome to ask ANY question without being threatened.

Dumb Mike

2. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Depending on what the question is, I decide to post a new thread or revive an old one. You just have to use judgement on whether the subject needs to be updated or if the "old" info is still valid. Its probably not as much of an issue in the gen3 section since its only been a 1.5 years since its release. I know on other forums where cars have much more history, the topic comes up a lot more.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I try to answer completely, THEN point out that there have been dozens/hundreds/thousands of similar threads, with the same answers.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ars-my-main-battery-will-die.html#post1188333

as an example.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i tend to graze thru new posts and always find it funny when i click on an interesting one and find out it's a few years old and somebody has decided to tack on another post. you are right though, sometimes they are relevent and sometimes not.:rolleyes:

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a judgement call. If your post is a clear continuation of a dormant discussion, then by all means revive it. If it's the same question we've answered a thousand times, like 'which tires?', then you bear some responsibility to at least read what's already been written. Usually, even the people who respond by saying RTFM are somewhat nice about it. If it's a genuinely stupid question, be prepared to be told. None of us speak for everybody - you're bound to get a wide range of opinion and reaction. :)

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This question has been asked a thousand times already - use the search function.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting that. As others stated, there isn't any one correct answer. If the old thread is still relevant and fits your question, post there. Otherwise start a new one.

We do try to answer all of the questions, even the ones posted over and over. Sometimes it is obvious that the poster failed to make even a half-hearted attempt to search out an answer. It's hard not to be a bit testy in that situation.

Tom

7. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find lots of Gems in the old threads as peps answer a 2yr old question. I think lots just don't look at the date and they were searching for something. Bravo to putting new info in an old thread and NOT starting another. Every, EVERY time I think I have a new question, I search (which takes more than 10 seconds) and I find it. As well doing a bing or google search answers the question in a non prius answer such as paint, or oil weight. The tire, oil, rattles, how far on last blinking led, 80mpg going downhill new threads pop up everyday. One can also add relevance to an old posting with new info. Unless the title is way off like "discovered today...."(about tire pressure) I add to postings.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like the idea of including in search results, very prominently, "The last post in this thread is X months/years old." This would not prevent anybody from reviving an old thread, but would prevent inadvertent resurrections.