1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

start car when combo meter not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by misterdean, Jul 3, 2023.

1. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    holding power button worked for turning the car off but wondering if there are any tricks to starting the car? disconnecting the battery use to work but that not working now.

also, what else am i going to need when replacing the combo meter? i hear about stuff breaking clips AC parts etc. want to start ordering stuff.

donbright likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In my car when the display doesn't work which has been the past two and a half years everyday almost I don't do anything I just get in the car push the button put it in reverse and go no matter if the display is not working The car still drives you don't see ready so what if you can pull the lever in revers and go and then hit forward and go you're driving aren't you? At least that's how it's been in my car for the last two then I changed the display and it comes on sometimes I still drive everyday almost a hundred miles with the display or without there's a brand new hybrid battery in my car and a 12 volt gas is full. So I'm ready to roll I just know how many miles I've gone from the time I push the button on the car till I hold the button to stop it when I get to where I'm going and that's all I need to know My phone can tell me that so I don't run out of fuel on the gas gauge I can't see

3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i tried putting it in drive and reverse, no go.

4. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    also, if anybody in the tampa area can do this swap, i'll pay.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's very strange I think so we must be barking up some tree we're not standing in front of or something The whole time my car's display did not work starting and driving was the least of my problems because it never stopped turning the car off I had to hold the button down and let it go really quickly when it let off or else it would restart again You get good at it. But I never had any trouble driving or starting or leaving the driveway with the car so it sounds like maybe there's something else going on along with the no display when I would change my display and have a working one nothing changed in the car except I could see the display and the ready light. And the car would shut off with one immediate button push other than that everything was the same I didn't know the combination meat or not working would keep the car from starting at least I don't think I remember that I don't think that I had to get in the car and hold the start button down for any length of time to start the car that was just to turn it off.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Tampa Hybrids does that stuff all day long

7. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    he's in dallas. i'm in tampa. the car won't start.

anybody know a way to start it or have links for these clips that will break?

8. Goodcitizen

Goodcitizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the ac vents that are easily broken. You have four of them. Otherwise the dash is pretty easy to remove. The two airbag bolts are a little annoying. Use a proper plastic trim prybar when removing the ac vents and be gentle.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes a tool may be necessary, but as I mentioned in my Gen 1 cluster finish panel video, leaving all the tools at the other side of the garage and using the soft pads of your own personal fingers will be even safer when it works (which it usually does).

10. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AC prius left main dash vent (the one that usually breaks):

for model year 2004-2005 part number is 55670-47040
    for model year 2006-2009 part number is 55670-47060

also if you search online market places for 'prius ac dash vents' there are a lot of good lower cost options nowadays. do not feel bad if you break it, there is something goin on with the chemistry in certain climates/environments where they turn brittle.