1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start date of Hybrid Battery Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TXPrius14, Aug 28, 2017.

1. TXPrius14

TXPrius14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have a 2009 Prius that I bought used in January 2015. Currently, a little over 60K miles.

What is the actual start date of the 96 month hybrid battery warranty period? I live in Texas and car is registered here.

Also, will Toyota replace the battery if under warranty even though it seems to be in good shape?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It has to have the hybrid battery failure code for a replacement, P0A80

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Start date is the original purchase date by first owner. Toyota should have a record of orig purchase date and state of orig purchase. In your case since TX is non-CARB it does not matter too much about the orig state of purchase, unless you moved to a CARB state or something.

As per JC, Toyota requires a failed battery code to replace it under warranty. I do not think we have heard too many 2009 batt fails yet.

#3 wjtracy, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. TXPrius14

TXPrius14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both. I will look up the original purchase date. Just replaced the 12V battery after all the odd messages that showed up on the Dash due to it being weak and finally dying.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    clean the cooling fan and grille. keep the grille clear, use tinting and window shades, and try not to park in the sun, if you want to keep battery longevity. also, consider a prolong charger.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Pointguard11

Pointguard11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had that code but the dealer said it was the HV fan. I thought it was fixed However the code popped up again. Now, I’m wondering how to approach the dealership.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would go to another dealership or go to another service adviser/service manager

I can't imagine your paperwork from the dealership stating code "P0A80" was present and their recommendation was to clean the HV fan and filter. If you have that paperwork, you can call Toyota corporate and complain about their incompetence.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a Gen2 there was a rare poss that clogged fan caused P0A80, but Gen3 we have not heard much about clogged fans due to better design. Expecting that code is bad batt. How many miles on her? Do you get CARB warranty? I am rusty on it.

9. Pointguard11

Pointguard11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I did exactly that. I got a new service adviser this morning and just received a call from him. They will replace the hybrid battery. I do think the original service advisor was deceptive. I told him that I personally showed the code battery replacement needed. Instead he said it wasn’t necessary. Why would he do that? I feel it was misdiagnosed and he should reimburse me of the charge. Or at least give me a credit. The new service advisor was excellent, honest, and wasn’t trying to sell me services I may or may not have needed.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  10. Pointguard11

Pointguard11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s has 97k miles on it. Thankfully they decided to replace it. They asked to do another $1500 of new work, but I told them I can’t do now.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure why they wouldn't just replace it, toyota pays them. something squirrelly in the service managers mindset

12. Pointguard11

Pointguard11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I’m thinking this service person is not making any money on warranty work. I feel like I deserve a refund or some service credit. I probably wouldn’t had the HV fan work done if they had just diagnosed correctly.

bisco likes this.