1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start in EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sshaw10, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sorry, I know this has been covered but I just spent half an hour searching and couldn't find anything. I've had my III for a month and I was sure I read somewhere months ago you can start the car in EV mode if you wanted to go up or down a driveway, change parking spots etc. I can't seem to get it to go. It always says not available. Battery is fully charged. Unless you can start the car in EV mode it's useless. Every other use I've read the car already does in other modes. When you're in traffic or a drive-thru it runs on battery on its own.

2. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine works, but If I have AC or Defrost on it will not.
    Use this all the time, I have a short 2 block drive to hwy and use EV to get through neighbourhood.
    As soon as I hit power on button, I engage the cruise to activate the EV mod. I have the Coastal Mod if that makes a difference.

3. cstone47

cstone47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The engine has to be warmed up first. See:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ctric-vehicle-mode-in-warm-climate-areas.html

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Warmed up implies 185+F. But the thread cited says the coolant temp in the Gen3 needs to be 68F. So in warmer weather you will be able to use EV at startup most of the time, provided you engage it within around 7 seconds of ready. I was glad to see this today, as I have also been unaware of the criterion.

Ken1784 comes through again.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now, gen3 EV is limited to 10mph until some real warmup occurs, then 25 mph. The gen2 was a 34 mph limit, IIRC.

6. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if I can do this in the really cold weather or not. We don't get the really cold weather.
    I do have EBH, but I never get to 185f before I start the EV mod.
    I can start EV mod immediatly.
    UPDATE - Had to try this.
    Car parked outside in rain, engine temp 12c/53f - pressed Start, then engaged EVMod.
    Drove around parking lot with no ICE - it does work, no EBH in office parking lot

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But you have a gen2. Your criteria likely differ from that of gen3.

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can put it into EV mode cold. Turn on the car, then *quickly* put it in drive/reverse, then press EV right away.

You'll be in EV until you get to 10MPH (when the car is cold, it shuts off EV at 10, when warm, 25).

2 people like this.