1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start, stop, start, stop ICE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jan 27, 2004.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an odd experience this morning in my '04.

When I was stopped for a light, my ICE would start, then stop, then immediately start, then stop, then immediately start again. The heater was on, and I'm sure it was starting to keep the coolant warm. I've just never seen it "sit on the threshold" like that. Outside temp was 54°F and climate control was set to 74°F or 75°F.

Fuel is nearly full, so I don't think that was the cause. No CEL's or codes.

Anyone else, or am I the only one? Will probably mention this to my dealer soon when I go in for my 5000 mile service.

-Rick

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mentioned this in a post several weeks ago. I've had it happen a handful of times. As you mention it's as if it was balanced at a threshold and as soon as it felt the battery was adequately charged the ICE kicked off, then as soon as it went off there was enough drain to drop the SOC below the threshold for the ICE to come back on. Kind of an odd experience, I've had it cycle as many as 5-6 times. Seems like there would've been a bit more overlap built into the programming.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

What I found when it happend to me

was that I had my foot resting just so lightly on the gas pedal. When I took my foot away completely that it stopped. I actually couldn't feel pressure on my foot but I guess it just held the small microswitch on. If it does it again make a note of the position of your right foot, and see if it's not just "there"

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny thing is, my SOC was 1 bar from the top, well in the green. I think it was more of a heat thing than an SOC thing. I'm fairly certain my foot was off the gas as it was on the brake (and I don't two foot-drive - very bad practice unless you're racing).

5. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

I haven't experienced this (yet) in 3300 miles, but haven't been much over 35 degrees, either, other then the garage. Perhaps this is symptomatic of the recall letter some 3500 of us are getting? I have no tech knowledge whatsoever, just throwing it out for consumption :)

Peace

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got it again, briefly, this morning at 10 degrees out. I flipped over to the energy screen and the battery SOC was green, one bar from the top after a fairly long coast and braking. That seems to be the thing...I hadn't checked the SOC the other times it happens. Once again, I think Wayne nailed it on the head.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Do you run the Climate control in

Auto Mode or on a seperate setting? As the drain on the HV battery running the AC to get the windows demisted or in the case of colder climates defrosted and taking the surface charge off the battery causing the ICE to run MG2. Mine appeared to be the slight pressure on the gas pedal. After working on an operating forklifts for almost 20 year I don't think I'll change how I use the gas and brake. Forklifts with inching and brake systems combined and the material handleing system demanding you increase the rpm to get the pump to pressue, all the manufactures, including our favourite car manufacture, would rather your parents took enhancing drugs so the you were borne with 4-5 possible 6 feet so you could do more than just stop and start.