1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Start stop systems on non-hybrids may decrease agm battery life

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jadziasman, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've started shopping for my next car well in advance of the time the Prius becomes too expensive to repair due to traction battery or other exotic hybrid system failure (hopefully not for a few more years).

I've been researching the new models of the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio. These cars have the new 1.6L GDI (gasoline direct injection) engine with 138 HP and are capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 8.2 seconds.

The start stop system on the 2013 Hyundai Accent SE and Kia Rio EX is available as a $400 option. It appears the start stop system relies heavily on an AGM battery similar to what's installed in the Prius except it has a 70 amp hour capacity.

The start stop function works like this - the engine shuts off when the car is not in motion and the driver has the brake engaged (has foot on the brake pedal). The engine starts when the driver releases the brake. Several conditions need to be met for the system to be active (ambient temperature, engine coolant temperature, brake booster vacuum level, state of charge of the agm battery, whether the car is positioned uphill or downhill a certain amount, and more).

From what I've read so far, the start stop system might decrease the life of the agm battery - starting the engine several times each day would deep cycle the battery several times per day as well. So, some of the owners of these cars might be surprised to find that they will need to replace their agm batteries in the first year or two of ownership.

Glad I looked into this since I wouldn't want to buy an Accent or Rio equipped with the system (even though you can disable it).

BTW - the new Accent SE and Kia EX are very nicely equipped for $17K. I'm strongly considering buying a used one a few years from now when the price drops below $10K.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it is the same thing BMW and Porsche and lots others have done. I wouldn't be too worried about decreasing the life of the 12v battery in those vehicles. Remember as a preventative maintenance item they should be replaced every few years anyways.

The real question is if it helps at all. The answer in the US, is almost always no. Here people creep up to lights, then creep along a bit, and then a bit more, and then a bit more. It is like if they get closer to the intersection, the light will turn green. It is ridiculous but happens everywhere. In this situation, the engine will not be able to shut off. If you drive where you stop and then stay stopped even if the car infront of you creeps up a whole car length, then maybe it will help a very small amount. But to move, the engine must be on. The beauty of the Prius is that during these creeps or low speed deceleration, the engine is off. Really these start/stop systems help very little and all they do is perpetuate the myth of slow and annoying hybrid technology.

When your engine is stopped and you floor it, there is extra time for the engine to come back online. Also there is no way to prevent the vibrations of the engine starting and stopping all the time. In the Prius it gets spun down gracefully, and you can still feel it. In these cars there is no spin-down mechanism, it just stops so the car will jerk. Now it happens every time you stop and every time you start?

I can't see this ever selling, and those that do buy it will complain and force people away from better implemented systems.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The energy needed to crank a warmed up healthy engine doesn't approach what I'd call deep cycling.
    You're stringing a bunch of "mights" together in your posting and concluding that you don't want the feature. I don't recall hearing about any problems with such a system (and they've been around for several years in some cars).

xs650 likes this.
  4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's some of what I read.

The Shocking Truth About Start-Stop Systems | The Truth About Cars

Test Driving An Automatic Start/Stop Automobile- The Wave Of The Future - Futurist - Seeking Alpha

ISG has stopped working - battery? - Kia Forum

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The info for the TTAC article comes from Pacific West, which appears to be a bank or securities company. The info might be biased.

Not all start-stop systems are the same. Mazda's puts little extra strain on the battery. They use injector finessing to start the engine. If you also opt for their regenerative braking, you get a super capacitor with a battery backing it up.

The more traditional start-stops should have a beefed up alternator. Considering a standard alternator doesn't really do the job of a battery charger, it's possible these systems aren't fully recharging battery between events, and the deeper the discharge, the shorter a lead acid battery's life.

I FAS my cars, and try to top the battery off with a battery charger regularly now. I didn't at first, and a 6 year battery may have lasted only 5 because of it.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Never been a fan of start stop technology in a non hybrid. It's a nonsense idea and will put massive strain on the 12v battery, however 'uprated' it may be. It's winter, your lights are on, your heating is on, you have the radio on and you're in start stop traffic.

The 12v isn't going to last 12 months in that environment and the opportunity of having the 12v fail to start the car up again will be high a year or so.

jadziasman likes this.