1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

starter guard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zeeman, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my car came with starter guard as a dealer installed option
    i was not sure what this option was, but today while washing and waxing the car i looked for the main battery and there it was -- a micro switch that was connected to a relay block that sure looked like an add-on, as the the battery compartment cover did not exactly fit right.

so, i called dealer and they told me that this gizmo protects main battery in case the car will not be driven for a while and that switch actually can reset the hybrid system.

so, can someone point me in right direction on how this add-on is suppose to be installed properly and how the starter guard process works -- I'd be very thankful.

2. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much did they charge you for this? I might be interested in getting this for my car.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    they ended up not charging me, it was $ 395
    seems awfully lot for couple of relays and a sloppy install job, but $295 for door guards and another $295 for 4 wheel locks sounds like a total ripoff to me.

i picked up option number # 2 and they had special on that week, car was offered at $20,900 + taxes.

since i was a car mechanic many years ago i did not fall for the extended warranty and prepaid service package spiel, i told them i could have got wheel locks at parts store for 20 dollars, and door guards for about the same. they pressured me to get 55K maintenance plan for $ 1200, but i declined.
    only later i understood how little does the normal services to 55K mileage really cost. I figured they were making killing on that package and you had to purchase service maintenance then, not later.
    that was their golden egg, together with 75 K extended warranty, that is where they hoped to make money and that is exactly what finance guy was peddling to me.

since i worked on toyotas before, I thought that prius had timing belt, but when i learned that it has chain drive i figured that prius service will be very inexpensive, even compared to my 1990 Mb 300E that a Mb mechanic friend of mine and i myself service very inexpensively.

anyways, i told salesman that i did not need any extras and that they can take those parts off if they want. well, they left them on the car.
    only when i picked up the car and looked at some small paper did i see the starter guard listed there. Salesperson did not even mention it, he probably did not know.

BTW, i left them the check for 22,907.13.
    not bad of a price if you consider that MSRP before taxes was 22,839.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, zeeman! I've never heard of a starter guard. It was on the HV battery? There's already a main relay and a safety interlock for the HV battery. Unless the car is in READY mode, the HV battery is completely disconnected.

If you looked, you may have seen that the 12V battery is pretty dinky, but all it really has to do is boot the computers and power the radio in ACC mode. Disconnecting the 12V battery screws up lots of things, like radio presets, the auto-up driver's window, the ECU memory (you usually get a milage hit after a disconnect).

As for it resetting the hybrid system, total BS. I don't even know what that means.

5. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks Bill
    what a cool place this forum is...

no, it was on 12V battery, connected to positive terminal. I think that original cable clamp was disconnected off battery and connected to one side of relay, then relay installed on top of this batt terminal. effectively the relay is in series with positive cable.

i found original protective red cover for battery positive post laying on top of the battery, they left it there because of this large relay and some yellow plug that is part of contraption is taking up the space where protective cover was. so ,original plug cannot be placed over + terminal
    and plastic cover that is above the battery is sitting kind of on top of relay/battery post. So, relay is installation is sloppy.
    I will check things out tomorrow, maybe i can find a better solution so that plastic tray that covers the spare tire is not pushing the relay from other side.

that is nice technical tip that HV batt is disconnected unless car is in ready, it makes sense to me. yeah, i do not see how installing any after market relay there would help. I do not think that my dealer touched HV circuitry.

yes, i noticed that

i knew about radio and power windows, but i just remember now that i read about mileage hit if batt is disconnected, as the ECU has to re-learn I suppose?

yes, that - hybrid reset did not sound right.

I think that what the start relay does is it simply monitors voltage drop and if say battery drops to 10 V -- it cuts off the power to the car, effectively
    disconnecting the 12v battery and preventing further discharge by parasitic current draws. At that point the battery would stay at pretty much the same voltage for quite some time. Then, i think that you would push that little momentary switch that would send the signal to microchip in relay to reconnect the battery again and therefore you can now initialize the system.

realistically, this kind of protection can be made for a price of a better relay, a transistor and integrated circuit -- less than $40.00.
    $395.00 is a ripoff.

6. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, that's why many people refer to them as stealerships.

7. pattytowne

pattytowne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bill and Zeeman,
    I am a very new Prius owner...in fact it has not yet been purchased, but one dealer (or should I say 'stealer') wants to add on the starter guard to my price. Since I am not sure how to resolve this on my own without purchasing this item and I am NOT a mechanic, I'm not sure what to do. I would be driving the car every day and not leaving it for several days unless away on a vacation, but I don't like the idea of possibly having a dead battery when returning from a vacation. Any suggestions?

8. ufoPilot

ufoPilot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Starter Guard is what it is. I think a trickle charger would be a better investment when you leave town for a couple weeks or more.
    The dealer in Santa Monica wanted $600 for the StartGuard on my new Prius. I asked him what the profit margin was and he said they made $315 on them. I told him not to install it and charge me the $315 instead. He makes his profit and I save $300 on a POS that I don't need.
    Normally, I wouldn't pay any premium on the sticker price (usually I pay invoice for a car), except Prius's are going for over sticker price in Southern California again starting in early May. Some dealers are getting 4-5000 over sticker!!
    In other words, you got a great deal IMHO.

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi pattytowne, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:
    You don't need to worry about your 12V battery going dead unless you go on a long (3+ week) vacation. And you don't need a StartGuard. The 12V battery is mainly used to boot the computers and close the HV battery relay. If you're really worried, it would be better if you invested in one of those combination air pump/flash light/jump start gizmos so you could use it to start your car if the little battery died on your month-long vacation. Then you'd also have an air pump to keep your tires properly inflated, and a light if you had a problem at night.

Congratulations (soon) on your new car!

10. pattytowne

pattytowne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Bill! That was the answer I was hoping for. A 3-week vacation is probably not in the near future for me, if ever! I'm lucky to get a few days off in a row here and there. I think I'm fine without it. Thanks for the help, and I look forward to having my new car and using this message board. This car is a whole new world for me, having driven a 1989 Corolla for about 19 years!
    :D

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck is a starter guard?
    Turn off smartkey, the car draws all of 11 milliamps which the
    normal battery should be able to handily provide for several
    weeks. Instructions for doing so are in the manual.
    _H*

12. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe that was the dealer's thoughts too.
    :D

ZC1

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could you post us a picture of said important starter guard?
    :)

ZC1

14. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pix on the StarterGuard website:

home

"PROTECT YOUR FAMILY," "Always Professionally Installed," no prices given.

And for dealers "...Increases revenue in Finance, Sales, and Parts departments..."

Hmm...

15. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like something most people really don't need...

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you have a financial interest in the product or the company?

Oh, really? What is your source for the data? Who did the research? How many motorists were sampled? What was the sampling methodology? What is the confidence interval? How did the researchers identify and target Prius owners, and what was the sample size and confidence interval for them?

Let's assume you really are as enthused about the product as you seem. Good for you. If you and your family have had as many battery failures as you say have, maybe it's a worthwhile investment for you. At a price of from $350 to $600, it wouldn't be for me, nor, I suspect, most other Prius owners. In the unlikely chance of a battery failure, I've already paid AAA to jump me. I can buy 2 or 3 replacement batteries for what this device would cost.

No one is spreading negative about the product; no one has questioned whether it works as advertised. Folks are only questioning the need and the price -- which, by the way, for dealer-installed add-ons often includes an exorbitant markup.

I suggest that for the sake of your own credibility, don't jump into a forum as a new member acting like a salesman for a product no one's heard of before. It's not surprising the post in the thread you started was thought to be spam.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Priusfax, you need to realize that with proper usage of the
    vehicle, this snakeoil is NOT needed in the Prius. Like I said
    in another thread, the car draws *11 milliamps* in quiescent
    mode when the SmartKey is turned off. That's lower than many
    other cars. Almost all of the "dead 12V" stories posted come
    from leaving a door ajar, leaving smartkey turned on for three
    weeks, or similar EASILY PREVENTABLE situations that certainly
    don't need any sort of "low voltage cutoff" if anyone's actually
    taking the extra half-second of thought. And that's clearly
    all starterguard is -- something to kill the 12V connection if
    the battery gets below a certain voltage. I will give you that
    it's sort of an elegant idea, and has been implemented for years
    in any laptop/cellphone/camera battery, so there's nothing new
    there. Please stop holding it up as some sort of miracle product
    around here, though, because you're up against a slew of very
    intelligent, discerning car owners who will see right through
    the rhetoric you're wrapping around this thing.
    Tell it for exactly what it is, and stop there. Quit trying
    to defend the fact that you've gone overboard on the testimonial
    sort of thing. Testimonials do little other than raise red flags
    in this group, and you're about to learn that the hard way.
    _H*

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $300 so that I don't have to remember to turn off the lights and lock the doors? No thanks.

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interestingly, the Starter Guard is not the only such product on the market.
    Consider the Priority Start:

PriorityStart - Stop Dead Batteries on Cars & Boats [Priority Start! Battery Protector]

This product, which also promises to prevent a discharged 12 V battery,
    seems to be marketed with the DIY-er in mind. The basic model is $89.
    At this price, less than the cost of a replacement 12 V battery, maybe it
    is worth consideration.

The cost of the Starter Guard is quoted to be ~$300. There then arises an
    unverified implication that the dealer's take is ~$200. For what, a 15 minute
    installation job? Yikes! (Now there's a gravy train I'd like to be riding on.)

At the very least, this product does not, as a part of its self promotion, crow
    about it's potential use to raise revenues for dealers.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not connected to Priority Start in any way whatsoever.

20. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wrench + battery = cheap discounted starter guard :)