1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starter questions.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Johno, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just spent 22 hours in my 04 Prius on a family vacation and I was thinking about the starter. It must be pretty beefy and durable to withstand the amount of cycles it must endure. Does anyone know anything about it?
    P.S. The navagation system was very helpful on this trip. It makes driving more relaxing. My kids named the voice Vicky from the movie I-Robot.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your "starter" is MG1..and it is, indeed, "beefy" considering it's multiple responsibilities. What the glossy flier on the Prius doesn't tell you is that there are actually 2 Electric Motors that peform various functions.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan I concede I made a mistake. Although I can't see how the ICE can power the car, if it's running, MG1 is turning in reverse by the sun gear in mesh with the planet carrier and the ring gear and it's connected to MG2. If MG1 is turning and not producing power it can't provide the drag on the planet carrier to help provide thrust to the ring gear. I can see MG2 not needing or getting power but to have the ICE provide propulsion power, MG1 has to be getting power. Unless the computer doesn't show it getting power.

4. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

The MG1 is either acting as a generator or a motor. It doesn't just spin if the ICE is sending power to the wheels. It has been posted before in other places, but an excellent resource on how all the internals work is Graham's Toyota Prius page.

-gehri