1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starter Wife

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Joan crashed her black prius in this week's episode.

I watched it again. I don't think anyone on the set is familiar with the Prius.

First, I'd think Joan's character would have a top of the line Prius. That means smart key. Yet when she comes out of the house drunk, she fumbles for her key to unlock the door. Then reaches in through the open window to open the door. Anyone who drives a Prius knows the car unlocks itself if you have the smart key in your purse. Then she gets in and fumbles to put the key in the slot. (You don't actually see if it's a fob or if she puts it in.) But likewise, if you have a smart key you just start the car.

Lastly the foley artists are also unfamiliar with the Prius. You can hear the car crank and start just like any ICE car. But a Prius is silent when it starts. I'm sure this was done because the audience expects those sounds when a car starts and drives away. If they used the normal sounds of a Prius, the audience would be startled by the lack of normal car noises.

Well, the Prius is totaled. Joan survives with only a broken nose. Testiment to all of those airbags I guess.

I wonder if Joan will buy another Prius to replace this one?

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 16 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]463227[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently you haven't been around many drunk people. :lol:

When I was in my 20's, I actually watched a drunk friend chase and yell at his girlfriend's cat to unlock the damn car door.
    He was absolutely positive he saw the cat walk away with the keys :wacko: . . . and he still attested to that fact a few days later. :blink: His girlfriend took his keys.

So Joan fumbling around for smart keys . . . yep, good acting.

As for the non-Prius starting sounds - you can blame the sound editor and editors for that.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay. So I haven't been around many drunk people.

But Joan is an alcoholic. She was drunk but she wasn't totally out of it.

And if she's been driving the Prius for a year or two, wouldn't habit kick in? Why fumble for keys to unlock a car you've never unlocked and put a fob in the ignition you've never had to do before?

And I understand the foley artists reasons for adding the crank and rev. That's something no one would notice except a Prius owner.

4. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 16 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]463241[/snapback]</div>
    I can't remember the title, but there was a movie that included a tank battle in what I thought was Iraq (maybe first gulf war?) where there were a series of M-1 tanks. When the tanks started there was the nice roar of a diesel, (not the high pitched whine of a turbine starting and the relative quiet of the engine.) The sound "artists" certainly use artistic license!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you ever watch Star Trek? Remember how the Enterprise whooshed across the screen during the titles?

And the ships in Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica etc.

If I remember my high school science correctly...sound doesn't travel in space. But that never stifled the creativity of the foley artists when the film was being edited. And to tell the truth, if it was silent in all of those scenes it just wouldn't seem right. In some ways reality is less real than fiction.

I do hope Joan buys another Prius. Maybe a blue one this time.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Joan said she's going to get a "new model" so I'm guessing she'll buy another Prius. She said it right before Pappy walked in.

And I saw the previews. Do you think Molly should end up with Lou or Sam?

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 16 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]463335[/snapback]</div>
    Since NOTHING that happens in sci-fi movies is remotely possible, I think we can allow for them to have "invented" space ships that make noise as they travel through a vacuum. That, after all, is the LEAST of their violations of the most basic laws of physics. Not to mention landing on a planet no human has ever visited, and the people there are almost exactly like us, but with some odd wrinkle on their forehead, or no ears, and they speak American English.

Television writers assume their audience is made up of idiots. And for the most part they are not far off.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But the Jetsons are real, and their little spaceships make funny sounds when they're driving past. :huh:

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 22 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]466717[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but do you think Molly should go with Lou or Sam?

BTW I watched West Wing and never though the writers considered me an idiot. I don't watch American Idol for that very reason.

10. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 22 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]466720[/snapback]</div>

Neither! They both have WAY too much baggage. I mean Sam is a wacko now because of the dead friend and Lou is a weirdo, I mean who fakes their own death?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sassy Pamela @ Jun 23 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]466767[/snapback]</div>
    Well, she's not going back to Kenny. Now that he's realized Shoshanna was just using him and he was a schmuck to dump her he's going to suck up to her and try to get her back if for no other reason to avoid the divorce and impending alimony. She's outgrown him. She should get the house and full custody, though. And all the alimony she can squeeze out of him.

Thanks in part to Molly, Lou is now reborn. He has renewed focus and energy. He's enthusiastic again. And he appreciates her honesty and knows she's loyal. And not bad looking either. He values her not only for who she is but also what she can do.

Sam is getting a job. Molly is healing Sam as well. But I think Molly loves Sam for who he is. She appreciates Lou for what he has; the power that can make her life simple and easy. But she is attracted to Sam as he is, not for what he does. So whatever job Sam chooses to do doesn't matter. What money Sam makes doesn't matter. Sam has simplified his life and he's teaching Molly to do the same. He's changing her value system.

Everyone seems to be getting their lives together. Time for Molly to do the same. And she only has two episodes left to do it.

Anyway...I vote Sam.

12. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]466783[/snapback]</div>

Did you read the book?

I'm curious to see how closely they follow the book... I guess I'll have to keep watching.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sassy Pamela @ Jun 23 2007, 01:43 AM) [snapback]466784[/snapback]</div>
    No. But I might. Did you?

14. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]466786[/snapback]</div>

Yes, it's chic lit which I love to read. It's a good one to take to the beach and gobble up in a couple hours.

I read it 2+ years ago and so I'm forgetting some stuff. Maybe it's pregnancy brain. ;)