1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting in the cold

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bruceha_2000, Jan 21, 2005.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I recently came to the realization that there is yet ANOTHER big Prius advantage. This car starts in cold weather like no other:

In Dec, I picked up my skating coach and took him to where he had left his car the night before. We were going to drop it at a Park and Ride, then continue to a skate shop in Canada. It was -9F. I waited in the street and he cleaned the snow off, started it, then came over to say it needed to warm up some. When we got to the P&R and started north in the Prius he said his car finally felt 'nomal' after he had been driving about 10 minutes. So, 5 minutes of warm-up and 10 of driving to be 'normal'.

The many memories of 'crank, crank, crank, errr, errr, errr. Give it a little more gas and try again' came to mind. At that point it dawned on me: The Prius had just started. No cranking ( it can't anyway :) ), no slow turn over, no rough idle because it was cold. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! :D

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bruce:

Tell me about it. Even at -40 the thing starts instantly. Have to thank 200 VDC worth of starting power for that.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Almost every morning, the people across the street have their SUV idling in the driveway, presumably warming up. I knock the night's snow / frost off Priapus, hop in and away I go.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Reminds me of a favorite old (air cooled) VW ad. It starts with the view out a windshield, in the pre-dawn dark, wipers pushing off the snow, headlights shining on a snow-covered, untracked roadway ahead. Silence, save for the frap-frap of the wipers and the occasional revving of the motor. Thirty seconds of this, no voice, no graphics.

A few turns later, still looking out the windshield,the car is seen to be pulling into a driveway, next to a huge snowplow. The voice-over:

"Ever wonder how the snowplow driver gets to work?"

Then the VW logo appears at the bottom the screen. Fade out.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, that commercial was great! Very creative and makes ya think at the same time.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember that VW commercial too it was great!

7. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did notice something the other morning when it was pretty cold out (single digits). Instead of the normal delay between the time I push the Power button and then the ICE actually started, the ICE started almost immediately. Has anyone else noticed this? I wondered if the car decided that it was too cold to worry about the stored coolant heating the head before starting.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe your defrost was already on? As soon as the defrost is on the ICE starts

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I park at the mall for a few hours at -40, when I get back to the car and press Power, there is maybe a 5 sec delay at most and the ICE starts. I think it's normal.

10. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Good grief.

It has been years since we have had snow on the ground here.

Chicago is closer than Orlando Florida from here. Due to being on the bank of the Tennessee, we have weather closer to that of Birmingham than Nashville, and each is about 100 miles away due north or south.

You can see some snowflakes for a couple of minutes about every winter if you are outside for it.

There is no salting the roads or oceanside salt spray. Engines wear out long before the body even starts to rust.

Out of 100 cars on the road, five will be 70's builds, large detroit iron chugging right along, headliner in shreds, seats shot, no body rust.

No state inspection here either and it is a pretty normal sight to see light vehicles on the road that burn out a quart of oil every ten or so miles. Some raise enough clouds of smoke that they can be seen for miles. Oddly enough, they are usually midsize or compact cars of Japanese design.

I bought a Crown Vic new in 1985, we put 240,000 miles on it, sold it to a guy I do business with, zero body rust. He drove it for years until an illegal immigrant from Mexico hit him and totaled it. The engine never had major work done on it either.

What rental car companies do is bring here the fleet resales from up north to sell, and that makes them not really good long term values. I bought a fleet resale once that came from Montgomery, it was a great car. I bought another one later that came from up north. The clear headlight covers were scarred from road salt, it never looked clear. I know its going to rust, I sold it.

Someone else I do business with has a '92 Vigor, zero rust. Tranny is going out, engine strong. Supposedly everything else works. She was thinking of selling, I said fix the tranny right.

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jayman, is that in Fahrenheit or Celsius? :lol:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remember the second episode of Futurama? The moon farmer has an answer to the F vs C question that left me ROFL:

"First one, then the other."