1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting issues....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John Ashe, May 6, 2018.

1. John Ashe

John Ashe New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2006 prius that: When I press the start button, the display comes on, all accessories including the fan motor will work with plenty of power; however, the gas engine does not kick in. As well, the triangle light, check engine light, and and brake light indicators will come on and stay on. If I try to go from Park to any gear, the car will shift to neutral, but will not go into gear. It's as if the ignition is turned on, but the car is not actually running. Any ideas? I washed the car just before the problem occurred. I just bought this car as a college car for my kid, and the Carfax report showed both HV battery & 12 volt battery replacement in 2016, just a few thousand miles ago. They were replaced through the dealer. The photo below shows what I see when the start button is pressed.

Any ideas?
    prius photo.jpg

#1 John Ashe, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

did you wash the engine bay?

was it a new hybrid battery from a toyota dealer? if not, that could be the issue. still it makes sense to check there 12v health, then read the trouble codes.

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

A code reader would take you out of the dark and into the light of knowledge.

You could disconnect the 12 volt battery for a minute. This will clear the codes and your car might start normally. Of course that does not actually fix anything and it's very likely the codes and warning lights will come back.

Let us know how that works.

douglasjre and Raytheeagle like this.