1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting my Audio Upgrade on Prius III - II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drunkin master, Aug 12, 2009.

1. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone...

I am going to start this thread on my audio upgrade.
    This is just a start and I am not sure on how long and what will be involved for the end product.

I started today by pulling off the center consol and radio. It was pretty easy. No screws of bolts just pull and take off a few connectors.

I have seen a few threads already on speaker upgrades. Its going to be work on getting the doors fabricated to fit larger speakers. There really isn't much room in there.

I have not yet decided on a head unit.

I will post pictures and updated on this as things progress.

Pictures might be bad quality, it was taken with my phone:

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMlbOm4wYI/AAAAAAAAAHs/OzU9b3F-ngI/s800/SPM_A0058.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMlb9OGH_I/AAAAAAAAAHw/cAVrRyRU2rA/s800/SPM_A0059.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMlcv4hlbI/AAAAAAAAAIs/y1nBYWGUus0/s800/SPM_A0060.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMldnsCTQI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Ij13sX7th4o/s800/SPM_A0061.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMlf6OkbOI/AAAAAAAAAIA/NjdN9WAagb4/s800/SPM_A0064.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac src="http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WgA26GwjKYQ/SoMlkJG6UpI/AAAAAAAAAIU/rbVApPNpyAI/s800/SPM_A0068.jpg" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="Picasa Web Albums - james.promac - Drop Box Box</a></td></tr></table>

2. jkishmael

jkishmael Junior Member

Model:
    II
    Best of luck! I'm sure I won't be the only one watching intently :)

3. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very nice. It looks like the two plugs on the right side of the back are standard Toyota radio plugs. Hoping the standard wiring harness will be enough to rewire in a new head unit.

Anyone know what the other two plus on the left are for? Steering wheel controls?

Definitely keep the updates coming as I'll be following suite in tearing out the head unit within the next few weeks.
    Any chance you can get a dedicated digital camera for this endeavor?

4. healthylaugh

healthylaugh boughtalottatoyotas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No offense, but why would anyone want a base speaker so powerful on the bottom end that it causes lack of bowel control?

I was a pedestrian on the street corner when a car equipped like this almost made me shat my drawers...

How does the driver deal with it? Well, that "Depends" on how you're personally equipped...:)

5. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update!!
    Just added my JL sub 10 inch and Alpine Mono Amp until I really start working on the system.

Had the Amp put in the left side rear of the trunk. Cut out a frame and attached the amp on the frame. All wiring was run under the spare tire area and power from the 12V battery.

Here's a few pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any concern about heat buildup in that small space?

7. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really don't see any issues with heat. It will vent out to the large cargo compartment that covers the spare tire so it should have enough room.

8. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the standard idea for the Prius to just run the +/- from the battery which is in the rear of the car? Do you still run the turn on lead from the head unit to the amp?

9. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ran the lead from the head unit to the amp.

10. josharmour

josharmour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

What head unit did you end up putting in?

What about the trim around the head unit?

What about steering controls?

11. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep us posted on the HU you select. I'm looking at the Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine Nav's but haven't decided. I want to add HD radio and Sirius but apparently the Kenwood DNX9140 can only take one.

Let me know what you decide, or anyone else for that matter.