1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

starting my buying journey

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Germaine, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Germaine

Germaine New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings from Maine,

I haven't read everything here yet, but in case this isn't covered: Are there any comparison sites for the model years? I'm especially interested in the cargo space differences. Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who's put on a luggage rack and/or a trailer hitch cargo rack. (Or even just a trailer hitch. That's kind of a project, right?)

I need to stretch the cargo space for my work, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm guessing the differences in cargo space across model years is not that great, but I'm curious if anyone knows the year with the most.

The stories about great deals are inspiring. Thanks for being here.

2ndAmendment likes this.
  2. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Germaine from Maine
    There's not a lot of difference in space between the Gen II and Gen III. I think that the Gen III makes better use of the space and has more cubby holes, but that's about it.
    There's a few threads such as Show Us Your Rack! and new bike rack and hitch install thread. Search forums for "hitch" or "bike rack". Note: You can't carry much weight in a trailer. Toyota suggests 0kg (that's 0lbs).

Alternatively, consider the Prius v. The 7-seat version (not currently sold in the US) has the HV battery at the front between the driver and passenger. So, if you could buy could remove the 2 rear seats [forcibly with spanners] and have a quite large boot (trunk) space. But the Prius v 5-seater is worth considering since (based on Australian specifications) the Prius v can carry 550kg (1200lb) or 170kg (370lb) more than a GenIII.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed that the OP should consider a (2012+) Prius v wagon, if he wants more space. Agree that there's a not a huge difference in interior and cargo space compared between Gen 2 and 3 (however, the EPA ratings at Compare Side-by-Side under the Specs tab seem to suggest otherwise).

Re: the v wagon, the video at 2012 Toyota Prius v Video Review - Interior Cargo Space | PriusChat might prove helpful. Skip to the 3:50 mark to get an idea of interior room.