1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting prius after 6 months mothball

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rocketmandlgc, Sep 4, 2010.

1. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently had an enforced 6 month "rest" from driving (UK speeding ban).

Unfortunately, I didn't do anything to my Prius except park it up, lock it up and forget about it. Needless to say now with 19 days to go before I can drive again, I pressed the fob to get in and do a spring clean and also to turn the engine over and ..... Nothing.

Opened door with key ... crawled to the back and opened the boot. Hooked the 12V battery to the charger (after disconnecting the earth cable)

Waited 10 hours, re-connected the earth cable, horns blared, lights flashed, alarm sounded. Disconnected earth cable, horns and lights stopped but alarm continued - would stop after a few seconds but would then start again almost immediately. During the quiet bits I noticed a light flashing on the panel approx twice/sec with accompanying clicking sound

re-connected the earth cable and stood in abject embarrassment as neighbours curtains twitched and dogs from miles around rushed to make love to the alarm. After a while everything stopped.

Jumped in the drivers seat with hope rising, only to be knocked back down to earth. I cannot fire up my Prius, and the fobs still don't work. Locked up using the key and then found this forum.

Can anyone help me get my Prius going again

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does your car have the SKS? Did you put the FOB in the slot?
    Does anything at all happen when you press on the start button with the brake depressed?

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You definitely disconnected the battery before attaching the charger? Otherwise you might have fried something expensive that didn't want to be fried.

4. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I have to ask... How much over the limit were you going that you were banned from driving for 6 months?

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Over in the UK probably not much! We have a 12 point system - hit 12 points and you're banned. Each speeding conviction is 3 points minimum for going just over the limit upto 6 points for a little more (45mph in a 30 mph zone say). In certain areas there are speed camera all over the place, including average speed cameras which record your speed over two points - often miles between them! Luckily my area believe in proactive policing and there are no speed cameras - just a copper with discretion. A little over the limit and get a telling off, take the p*ss and you get a ticket.

You could be in a hurry on an unfamiliar stretch of road and hit all your 12 points in one day. The usual ban is 6 weeks, but if you have had previous speedings or were going over 100 mph (max limit is 70 mph) then you will probably get 6 months ban.

Drink driving is even stricter. A minimum of 12 months ban, if you were just over the limit, ranging upto 18, 24, 36 or even prison depending on how drunk you were. If you cause an accident (fault or not) and you're over the limit then you're in big trouble and probably guaranteed some time in jail. Oh and then when you do get your licence back (you might have to retake your test again) you will find your insurers will probably want at least 100% increase on your premium!

Do people still drink and drink? Course they do, but anyone who relies on their car (thats most people) will be very cautious and get a cab. The risks are too great not to.

1 person likes this.
  6. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Grumpy. I agree with the strict punishment when it comes to drunk driving. In another life, I drove a tow truck for a living for police agencies and have seen too many drunk driving accidents. I've taken people's cars to the impound yard when the police take them to jail and I've seen people that can't stand on their own two feet who were driving a car 15 minutes earlier.

7. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No SKS, Yes I put the FOB in. Nothing with the brake depressed although when I press the start without depressing the brake pedal, the green light in the start button come on momentarily then goes out again

8. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was 37 in a 30 zone (thats Miles per hour) 3 times and one 42 in a 30 zone

As grumpy says - It's easy to do in the UK. The really sad thing was - another 8 days and 3 of my points would have expired and i wouldn't have been banned

9. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take care if you are close Grumpy - Totting up carries a Mandatory 6 month. The potential 6 weeker is only used where a high excess speed leads to an instant ban irrespective of the number of points accrued (like 60 in a 30 zone, 70 in a 40, 100 in a 70 - all carry Instant bans)

But enough of my ban - any thoughts on the state of my Prius?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I suggest that you again disconnect your 12V battery and charge it overnight. <Or, consider buying and installing a replacement 12V battery, to see if that helps.> While you are waiting for the battery to charge, find the alarm horn and disconnect the wiring to it <so that you can work on your car without provoking your neighbors.> If the alarm uses the car's existing horns, you can find them in front of the radiator; remove the black plastic radiator cover to access the horns.

2. Reconnect the 12V battery after it is charged. Without depressing the brake pedal, can you enter ACC-ON mode by pressing the POWER button once (where the green LED on the button lights) and then enter IG-ON mode by pressing the POWER button a second time (where the orange LED on the button lights)?

3. If yes, then depress the brake pedal fully and see if you can make the Prius READY. If the car cannot be made READY, then proceed to #4 below.

4. If the car will not cycle through the ACC-ON and IG-ON modes from IG-OFF, then you'll need to have your car towed to your local Toyota dealer for assistance.

11. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the battery connected to the car during the 6month period when it wasn't being driven?

If so, then the 12v battery may be dead-dead depleted and damaged enough so it doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Have someone do a load test on that battery. You can also try (CAREFULLY - do not reverse the polarity!!!!) jumping the car.

1 person likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And isn't there a special way to jump the Prius? I'm sure I've read somewhere that the other car must not have its engine running. Is this correct?

13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that part stems from the fact that the prius doesn't need much current to successfully jump the car. Other then that, jumping it should be like normal.

14. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick - will post later and let you know how I got on

15. rocketmandlgc

rocketmandlgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Semi Success. Well at least I don't seem to have fried anything expensive!!

I jumped the car using a Clarke Starter Pack and the Prius fired up just fine. A bonus - with the bonnet open, I was able to deactivate the immobilser with the fob, so no horns, lights, alarms to scare the neighbours witless (that was the first job)

Fired up the Prius (two presses of the power button required as per the manual) hit the accelerator and the engine purred into life. The first thing that happened was the Hybrid battery pack which was showing 6 green bars very quickly went down to 2 red(ish) bars before the readout said the engine was recharging the VH pack - came back up to 4 greens.

Waited about 5 mins with foot on gas - stopped the engine, pressed power (off), packed away my charger, went for a fag and a coffee - came back to try a restart .... NOTHING

Conclusion - Battery is goosed. I'm going to try one last stint on the charger before opening wallet to buy a new battery. Anybody any idea how much in the UK. Seems a very small battery - are they Toyota exclusive?

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :D

I just love the discord between the UK and the US meaning of that expression.

As for the problem with the car. You'd be best to let it run the engine for a while and then LEAVE IT IN READY MODE for a few hours. Let the ICE kick in as it wants to. Then if you turn it off and it wont restart well you know for sure the battery a no-hoper.

1 person likes this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Always reminds me of a friend of mine who was working in Toronto for a couple of weeks. He was in a bar with work colleagues when he told them he was off outside for a fag as he was gagging for one! :eek:

Lots of surprised looks :D

What do our Aussie friends use for a slang term for a quick cig?

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I was a kid the predominant external cultural influence in Australia was definitely British. Over time that’s shift more and more towards the US, so now days it’s often the US influence that predominates in culture and slang etc.

So it's a bit of a generational thing. Certainly Australians in my age group would recognize “to smoke a fag” as being about having a ciggie, but lots of the younger generation would probably think it was something to do with homosexuals and firearms.

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the 12V battery takes a very long time to charge when the Prius is READY. Leaving the car READY overnight would not be excessive if one wanted to charge up the battery from a near-dead condition.

However, if the OP had already run the battery charger overnight, the charger was equipped with an ammeter, and he could see that the charger was putting reasonable current into the battery from the start - say 4A or so; then it would be reasonable to give up on the existing battery and buy a new one now.

In the US, MSRP is US$139 but knowing how expensive parts are in the UK, the price there will probably be a similar number expressed as GBP. Perhaps a similar battery might be available aftermarket?

If the OP decides to look aftermarket, note the battery's physical dimensions, the small battery terminal size, the AGM construction, and the ~35Ah capacity. Also note that when the battery is facing you with the terminals closest to you, the positive terminal needs to be on the left.

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you bought just the elearnaid.com conversion Kit for 17 pounds, you could find a local source for an Optima Yellow Top D51 Battery.

Prius 12V swap

(I came to this thread to learn how to mothball a Prius correctly, only to discover absolutely no mothballing was done)