1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting to show signs of hydro locking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ED 2010 Prius, Dec 16, 2020.

1. ED 2010 Prius

ED 2010 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota of Bowie MD is a scam under qualified mechanics. I recently 12/14/2020 had them do a head gasket job on my 2010 Prius. They broke the bolt off in the engine now they tell me I need a new engine. If I want to get it fixed I have to send it out to machine shop machine shops and I have to pay to get the bolt out, and they still want me to pay them $4000 for the work they did not do is this how the system works at Toyota????? Now I m with out a car.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So far you're just dealing with a dealership. Assuming you've already talked to their service manager without good outcome:

Round up all the paperwork, scan or take decent pics, email Toyota USA, explain as completely as you can.

Gasket Masters used to have a video, about dealing with stuck head bolts. They've taken it down, but it goes something like this:

Start turning bolt to loosen, and listen. There should be a distinct pinging sound as it breaks loose a bit. If you're not hearing that, place just a socket on the bolt, and give it a sharp rap with a small sledge hammer. Then try loosening again, listening for that distinctive ping. They call it "shocking the bolt".

Apparently dealership mechanics didn't know about that, leaned on it till the head snapped off.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, it has not been taken down.

Mendel Leisk and GrGramps like this.
  4. ED 2010 Prius

ED 2010 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius