1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Starting up my prius, properly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anthofang, Apr 15, 2009.

1. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    hello fellow prii drivers!
    I was jsut wondering when i start my car, is it best for me to wait till the engine turns on then simmers down? I usually just hit power on and go once the engine is on or sometimes when immediately after ihit power. I noticed that fuel economy is not so good when the engine has just turned on. So am I starting it properly? This is normal for all prius?
    thanks!

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Most of the advice that I have seen on the forums indicate that it is just best to start the car and then go. If you are moving, you are at least getting some mileage. Just sitting there doesn't gain you any mileage, although the FE at first will be low.

I usually don't even wait for the ICE motor to start when the car is cold. I just push "On" with my foot on the brake, wait for "Ready" to appear a few seconds later, and then drive away; if I don't take off too fast, the ICE won't even run at first (unless I have the climate control turned on, and it's calling for heat for the passenger compartment).

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I usually get into the street in front of my house before my engine kicks on. So, no, I don't wait for the engine to kick on.

The reason your mileage is so low for the first few minutes has to do with the engine heating the catalytic converter. The others can explain it better.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Upon cold startup, the gasoline engine will run with retarded ignition timing for a short duration. At this point the engine can't produce much power so if you are movng around, this will require traction battery power.

If you need to climb uphill upon startup, you may find that it is more efficient to let the engine warm up for a minute or so, so that it can produce the necessary power. If you are just going to creep out of your driveway at a slow pace then its probably OK to proceed immediately upon startup.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My take:

Let it warm up unless your able to slowly accelerate below 15mph without climbing any grades. If your merging into neighboorhood traffic or there are cars behind you, then let it warm up first before driving it.

Driving the car before its warmed up WILL use battery power (and battery cycles) much more quickly then if the car is warmed up.

6. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    oh my i'm getting all sorts of repsonses! hmm well the road i drive on to get away from my house is flat and usually im alone when its morning? so i guess i can just drive slower. I don't want to risk any potential damage...are there any if i just go without warm up? I live in so cal so mornings are not freezing but it is cold..

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, faster seems to be better while the car is in forced warmup mode. I'd suggest a constant 45-55mph for the first 5 minutes.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, there is no clear agreement on this one, is there?

First, if you're worried about some sort of damage, don't be. There is nothing you can damage with any approach.

The issue is whether one technique or another gets better fuel economy. Because, as Patrick describes so well, the car prefers the electric motors for propulsion in that first minute or so, high-power driving (i.e., steep hills or rapid acceleration) will deplete the battery to some degree. (Nowhere near enough for any damage, and besides, the car protects the battery very well from adverse effects of operational extremes.) The battery later needs to be recharged, and the ICE needs to run longer and/or harder to recharge it.

Either way, in the grand scheme of things, the impact on overall fuel economy likely is small. Unless you're a fuel economy nerd like some of us ;), I wouldn't worry too much about it.

FWIW, my approach is what you propose here unless I have a steep hill or heavy traffic to contend with at the start.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use up to half throttle when cold. Drive right after the ready light comes on, that is what ready means. An engine under light load will warm faster and better than at idle, and it will produce less pollution overall.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it's kind of funny. You asked about potential damage and we mostly went into "there's no risk of damage either way so here's what you can do to get better mileage." I guess that's just the way we're accustomed to thinking.

In the grand scheme of things, like JimBo said, there's no risk of damage either way.
    I'll give you another personal real-world experience: in the morning - as I said above - I punch (POWER) and roll out onto the street under battery power before the engine gets around to kicking in. Since I roll through the suburb for about a mile, this allows the engine to warm up before I make any real demand on it. I see real-time mileage around 18 - 24 MPG. That's low but better than idling.
    However, when I leave work, I go straight from the parking lot to 45mph with no warm-up period. As mentioned above, there's heavy reliance on the hybrid battery because the engine is working to warm up and heat the catalytic converter. So after about a half-mile, the battery is showing 2-3 bars. Now the engine is warmed up but will need to run in order to recharge the battery to acceptable levels.
    So here's what I've started doing: Rather than going straight from the parking spot to the road, I take the longest route around the parking lot before exiting. This simulates the suburb driving I do in the morning. I still get the crappy mileage but at least my battery is still well charged.

And this is the most important thing to remember: whatever you do, however you choose to warm up or not warm up your Prius, there is nothing you can do to damage the car. As they've all said, it will take care of itself. I've personally really put this thing though the tests - as have most of the others here - and the darned thing keeps coming back for more.

So take solace in the knowledge that whatever you're doing it's okay.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Interesting thoughts. My thoughts?

If the engine is running you should be moving for max. efficiency possible.
    Yes, if you use battery power then have to recharge (all automatic, of course), that power is probably about 50% as efficient as power directly from the engine (power loss during battery discharge/recharge as well as loss in the electric components), but that is still -infinitely- more efficient than sitting idling!

With -any- internal combustion engine, you shouldn't apply full power when cold. It causes higher wear. So start off slowly for the first minute or two. By then the metal in the pistons/cylinders will be warming up. Then full power comes with minimal wear. That being said, I doubt you could rapidly "wear out" the engine by taking off cold on an interstate. You just wear the engine a little faster than normal.

Don't worry about "wearing out" the battery. NiMH batteries like to be used! They deteriorate faster if left unused in my experience.

12. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tony, I was wondering if this same advice relates also to the 2010? You mention the engine heating up the catalytic converter. Will the 2010 be more efficient in the early stages?

13. yatbiz

yatbiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the only reason I wait to warm up is for the defroster for the big foggy windshield to clear so I can pull out on to pacific coast highway and not get hit , then its a downhill glide to my favorite diner for some food

14. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I let it warm up between 30s-1min. I guess I'm just old school. I know that its mainly unnecessary for most modern cars these days. But at the very least I want to give the car some time to let the oil pressure get up to norm and let various other fluids circulate their pathways. Things are brittle and prone to wear when they're cold. And I'm never in a rush to go anywhere.

15. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's why my UK Prius leaves the engine running idle and uses more electric power when starting off with a cold engine. There's definite resistance to accelerating harder. It will, but you have to press the pedal quite a long way to get the car to do it.

The North America cars, with the coolant thermos, may be a bit different, because they throw hot coolant back through the engine to warm up quickly. However, that can only warm the engine rather than getting the oil pressure up. Still, with the car having to use the motor to move off - the engine doesn't provide enough torque and can't provide any power or torque below 1000rpm - I don't think there's any reason to warm up before moving off.

16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unless your oil pan is empty, oil pressure will be up before the spark plugs even ignite.

The Toyota hybrid is even easier than your normal car as it spins the engine up to normal idle RPMs before lighting the spark plugs off, where your typical car can only crank the engine over a couple hundred RPM and has to rely on combustion to spin the engine up the rest of the way.

There really is no reason to wait before driving off.

I've got some good used oil analysis (UOAs) to prove it, too.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the plugs fire, the injectors don't squirt. Oil pressure is at its highest when the engine is cold. Oil works better though when warm. Oil warms up quicker under light engine load.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, the 2010 has a heat exchanger on the exhaust system which reduces the amount of time it takes for the engine to warm up. It also uses advanced EGR to allow for a leaner burn.

Tom