1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

State makes big fuss over local couple's vegetable oil car fuel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Full article

Thanks to this site

All the best,
    Matthew

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Mar 9 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]403025[/snapback]</div>
    That's just sad. They don't have anything better to do with their time than force an elderly couple to apply for licenses they don't need just so they can pay taxes on fuel they make themselves?

Go after the people illegally flipping houses and sticking others with inflated mortgages. The tax men were the ones that finally stuck Al Capone in jail, now that was a worthwhile endeavor. There's real fraud being committed in the state, but I guess that takes more research and effort to track down, rather than reading newspapers and trying to figure out what tax might not be paid by innovative people doing good things.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazing consistent bureaucratic logic. In a rural community of 10,000 I contacted City Hall and requested a smaller refuse dumpster and a larger recycling dumpster. City personnel immediately responded they would have to charge more.

I countered: this community is under a federal and state mandate to reduce solid waste by 50%. You are going to charge me more for producing less solid waste?!

I then asked why local schools (representing 15% of the solid waste stream) are not including in the current recycling program. No answer.

I then requested we be put on a metered rate for fresh and used water (as mandated by federal, state and case law; and as done in Tucson AZ, San Diego, San Jose & Arcata CA). Even when water is "unlimited", it still takes energy to move the water. The City Manager responded they did not have the personnel to read meters. I offered to read my own water meter as many do for electricity and natural gas. Response: "We tried that in Minnesota, it does not work." (It does work in California) and several large and small utility districts can now read meters at a distance of 600 meters.

We continue to "muddle toward frugality," always coming up with excuses as to why greater efficiency is not possible. M.m.m.m.m.... sounds like Detroit vs. Toyota and Honda.

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Mar 9 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]403025[/snapback]</div>
    Don't they have bigger fish to "fry"? They have a rate for diesel and gas but no "rate" for vegetable oil as fuel? Hopefully their state will intervene in this ridiculous waste of time and manhours and instead laud them for their initiative.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Antyime you threaten the Income Stream, governments are going to become very interested very quickly.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Mar 9 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]403083[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like the type of tyrrany the Second Amendment was intended to counter. Government workers can always find something better to do than useful work. Why should they pay gasoline or diesel fuel tax when they aren't buying gasoline or diesel. I'm sorry but these government agents have S--- for brains and don't have the balls to collect taxes from illegal drug dealers.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well now that's just sad.
    I would really like to see our junior Senator step in on their behalf. Heck, I'd like to see either or both Senators speak out on this.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Mar 9 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]403083[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! Since Smug Darell uses electric power from his own solar panels to power his Rav4-EV, maybe if we drop the dime on him for messin' with the stream of transportation / fuel tax dollers ... we can wipe that smug smugness right off his smug mug. :lol:

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 10 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]403349[/snapback]</div>
    Yeh. We've got to start taxing solar energy.

Then we've got to tax farmers for using solar energy to grow food, and then .......
    B)

Dave M.

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I can't believe this... aboslutely ridiculous!

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Mar 10 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]403357[/snapback]</div>
    And if you don't pay the solar tax the government erects a big shade over your property so you live in eternal darkness. :eek:

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 10 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]403536[/snapback]</div>
    Hey. There's our solution to global warming. Nobody pay your solar tax.

Dave M.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Mar 9 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]403045[/snapback]</div>
    Crazy! I totally agree. Talk about a bunch of nutty bureaucratic crap from the government!

BTW, what's illegal about flipping houses? (not that I've ever owned one) Are some flippers doing something illegal while in the process?

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's silly. Anyone living in Illinois should think about writing to your local and state representatives on this guy's behalf.

It's really the same thing with Bush going to Brazil to promote ethanol, but somehow deciding it's okay to leave hefty tarriffs in place on its import into the coutnry. Talk about it like it's a good thing, but in the end, do what's best for your friends in the oil industry.

The one thing that I didn't like in that article was the mention of hybrid vehicles, and their use of electricity... since the electricity is generated by gasoline, we've already been taxed on that.

I do agree that if you're going to be producing your own fuel, you should maybe have to meet certain standards, and even possibly pay a tax on it though, since ignoring the issue completely may end up with a lot of people burning dirty mixes that don't really help the situation. Seems like that guy was willing too, but the gangbusters even made it hard for him to pay that tax!

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 11 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]403739[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Ichabod,

Yes it is silly, and also abusive. Already have written my representative. To disturb the guy at home, when apparently by the letter of the law he aparently owes nothing. Then when he tries to comply with the spirit of the law insist that he post a bond 10 times what might be owed is just plain viscious. Somebody there in the Decatur office of the Illinois Department of Revenue should be fired. Did you know that Archers Daniels Midland is headquartered in Decatur?

I also complained the newspaper about there lack of due-diligence on the taxation comments. Even a plug-in hybrid is taxed, through electricity utility tax collection.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, if I plant a little vegetable garden I would have to get an agriculture license as a food supplier and distributor, even though I'm eating my own tomatos and carrots?

Typical to go after this law abiding older couple. They probably figured they'd be easy pickings and the couple would just hand over the money and say nothing.

I hope they refuse to pay anything and let the revenuers take them to court. I'd like to see the judge ream the revenuers a new one. I'm sure either senator or any number of groups would be glad to find a pro bono lawer who would be more than happy to represent the couple and slap the state upside the head.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Mar 10 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]403357[/snapback]</div>
    And don't forget about many of us PC users, who have failed to obtain State Manuer licenses, for all the B.S. that WE create. :lol:

18. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 9 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]403151[/snapback]</div>
    I'll suggest looking them up at www.senate.gov and e-mailing them. I've done that here in NY and have gotten responses. Call them to task and see whether they are worth (re)electing. ;)

19. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So if I heat partly with fuel oil, and partly with wood, I should pay them fuel oil taxes for the wood I burn?

20. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenmce @ Mar 18 2007, 12:29 AM) [snapback]407695[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Kenmce,

That is not exactly a direct analog. As, your house does not need roads to roll along on.

But, some of that fuel oil tax probably goes to enviormental abatement, for oil spills, and emissions. If you cut the wood on your own property, the oil spill side of the tax does not apply, but the emissions side of the tax does. To be in good concious burning wood inside a residential neighborhood, you might want to consider the tax saved as money to be spent for the extra emissions equipment needed to make a wood fire as clean or cleaner than an oil fire. That is, get a stove catalytic converter, and some kinda or particulate trap (if they even make these yet).

I wonder if filtered WVO (Waste Vegatable Oil) would burn well in a oil furnace? Probably a more efficient use than in a vehicle. And the whole neighborhood would have those delectable Burger King ester smells.

B)