1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

State of the Union

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Well, I listened to the State of the Union address and I liked it. I was most interested in Foreign issues because I am well aware that President Bush does not have a lot of power over domestic issues, that is the business of congress.

I am proud of the "ideals" he outlined about freedom and liberty being the inherent right of all humanity. I also truly believe if America was not the beacon of liberty....there would BE no beacon.

I wish GWB would state flat out something like this......mistakes have been made...humans are fallible and fall short of the ideals they so desperately strive for. That does not mean we should not continue to strive for them.

My son is in training (Marine) to deploy to the area of Fallujah in July. I am very proud and will not pull a Sheehan should he be hurt or die. He is proud of what he stands for and I am proud as well.

I have no doubt the Bush-haters will bash him for this speech as well. Personally, my chest swelled and I was proud when I was done listening.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Watched Sex and the City on TBS with my wife. Moved on to Sienfield reruns. I figure I'll catch the unbiased coverage on The Daily Show tonight.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope. Am currently folding laundry, packing (heading to Mammoth tomorrow after we do our taxes), and watching an episode of Modern Marvels. And tooling around here on PC. Have no desire to see GW's face nor hear his voice.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw it, and like the foreign policy portions. There's that "vision thing" that GWB has that his father was never able to convey. If he's right, and I think he is, and we are successful, and I think we will be, he will be considered visionary and respected for sticking to his guns. Lots of parallels to Reagan in this respect.

But, there wasn't enough in the way of returning to fiscal responsibility, although I do admit there was more than usual (many times these speeches become a laundry list of new initiatives and programs to waste our tax money on). I was once again horrified to hear a Republican suggest more federal spending on education. Just as welfare dollars from DC didn't eradicate poverty but may have instead help create a permanent underclass, so education dollars from Washington may completely seal the fate of many school districts. That big "R" next to your name, Mr. President, means you should be running on smaller government. Not larger.

I did like the fact that he opened the door a crack by mentioning the "N" word in energy matters. He even took care to pronounce it correctly. It will be DOA, of course, because Hollywood made several good movies that proved its too dangerous.

5. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a great infomercial! I'm not affiiliated with the party, but I liked some of what he said like keeping the tax cuts.

Most of the stuff though didn't resonate too much with me.

Andy

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I was pleased to hear him call strongly for alternative fuels and hybrid technology, and an end to our dependence on oil. It was a moving speech and I find much to admire in it and little to fault.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought it was an awesome speech.... I can't imagine anyone can deny that whether they like Bush or not..... but people see things different ways based on what they want to hear.

It was fun to watch Hillary!... she looked like a pissed off opossum that just ate persimmons.... but she always looks like that at the state of the union addresses.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, he's pretty good at giving speeches. Talk is cheap though.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's when he's trying to field questions and talk off the cuff explaining things that I like to watch. Now that's good television. :lol:

Just once I would like to see GWB try to hold his own in the British parliment when they take turns attacking each other.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, he wouldn't last too long in British parliment. Notice how he only spoke in front of the people who agree with him? The bushies in general are incapable of debate because they don't get any real practice. Instead of debating an issue with the people who disagree with them, they attack the people who disagree with them.

12. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone watch the Colbert Report last night? He was apparently taping his show during the SOTU and had an earpiece in so he could listen to it during his taping. Pretty funny moments. I first thought he was just BSing while doing it, but then he quoted something that the President said.

14. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Do you mean like calling them "Bush bashers" and "pissed off oppossums"? :p

15. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I'll believe the talk when I see the action. Every year, we hear the same thing...kinda reminds me of the high school pep rallies.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your son has my full support.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/american-flag/images/photo-01.jpg

17. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

As a YNC(SCW), USN(ret) - he has my full support also. Oorah!

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it's going to be tough to find someone who doesn't fully support his son. My cousin is over there right now, and my buddy flies over there 2x a month on missions.

Here's an excerpt from his most recent email (he was in Iraq in 2002 for a year, came home for more classes and whatnot and is now back over there):

"It's amazing how much this place has changed in 20 months. Life is very good now and the Soldiers over here with me for their first deployment don't know just how good things are. Everyone gets a room in a mobile-home like trailer to live in with a bed and a A/C unit. KBR runs all the dining facilities which are very good considering where we are eating and how many Soldiers and contractors they feed each and every day. Electricity is now constant, which is nice, and there are large concrete barriers and bunkers everywhere now to protect against mortar attacks. Not every post here in Iraq is as nice as this place, but most are pretty close."

Sounds encouraging.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You would never get that feeling watching the evening news.

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

British Parliament is AWESOME! I used to sit there for hours and watch John Major argue with everybody... Utterly awesome, particularly with "Betty Boothroyd" gets involved when things get out of hand!!