1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Static-like noise from cabin fan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rob McCormick, May 14, 2017.

1. Rob McCormick

Rob McCormick New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We recently noticed a continuous noise coming from behind the glove box whenever the cabin air fan was on. It sounds like radio static, but does not come from the audio speaker, and varies from hissing to scraping sounds that Do Not Vary in pitch or intensity with how fast the fan is running, but disappear as soon as the fan is powered off. Pulling out the air filter did not affect the noise in any way, and the air flow from the fan itself is normal, as is the A/C function. My initial thought was that there is a bad bearing in the fan, or an entrapped leaf or other debris, but I would have expected differences in pitch with differences in fan speed. My plan for today is to unplug, but not remove the fan itself and see if there is sound when the fan switch is in the ON position, and failing that, to pull the fan.

Is there anything else in that region of the car that moves or would have air flow to generate a noise, or perhaps act as an electrically driven speaker?

My marriage may depend on a prompt fix!!!

Thanks,
    Rob McC

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The noise is not caused by the cabin ventilation fan given your observation that the sounds do not vary in pitch or intensity as the fan speed changes.

It is probably caused by a noisy servo motor which adjusts the position of the air duct doors. There are three such motors: air inlet control, air outlet control, air mix control.

The alternative is that you have a rodent colony in the dashboard area.

If your marriage is contingent on resolution of that noise, it would be well for you to visit your local Toyota dealer for assistance as it is not easy to reach / do anything useful with the servo motors. Just tell your wife that her continued happiness can be assured via a Toyota dealer service dept repair invoice in the high hundreds of $s.

3. Rob McCormick

Rob McCormick New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The denouement: I pulled apart the cabin fan housing, pulled out the fan and removed the impeller drum and then ran the fan isolated on the floor of the passenger side. My noise came from the fan, apparently from corrosion/debris along the shaft or bearings, or perhaps from brushes that were starting to wear down too much. I could not remove the motor from its housing, so no further diagnostics were possible. A few squirts of WD-40 may have reduced the noise a bit, and all the in-and-out of restoring the fan to its place pending replacement has made the noise more intermittent and variable. While on the floor, changing the speed still did not alter the sound characteristics.... go figure???? Live and learn.....

Rob

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe pick up a newer one on ebay or salvage.

5. Rob McCormick

Rob McCormick New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A new one is on its way from Amazon. $45 includes shipping.
    Rob

bisco likes this.