1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stay Away from Manhattan Beach Toyota

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by uclabruins, Mar 30, 2006.

1. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called this dealer and got a woman on the phone. I asked if they had any unallocated Prius with package 8. They said they had a silver one. Great. I asked what interior color. Dark gray. Great, I said. What do you normally sell them for? She said let me check with the sales manager, Bronco. She gets back to me and says that they would accept MSRP since the car has been on the lot for a couple of weeks. I'm curious how many miles it has. It takes her a while and she calls back and says 28. So I think that several people have test drove the car and didn't buy....why???

I drive from Pasadena at 4pm in traffic and get to Manhattan Beach around 5pm. I tell them I'm looking for Anna or Bronco. After a bit, Hudson walks out and says that he will help us. We go check out the car. Hudson shows me all the gadgets and everything looks good. It does have 28 miles on it. Salesman mentions that there's normally a $3k markup and he's required to tell customers. I tell him that Bronco said he'd sell it for MSRP. He says it's my job to let you know that there's a $3k markup. OK, fine you did. Since the car hasn't been sold and the first person who waited for the car didn't buy I asked what happened. Hudson says several people have put the deposit down, but didn't end up buying the car for one reason or another. I'm thinking that this is strange, but continue and go for a test drive. All looks good, so we go inside and the Salesman wants to ask the floor manager about offering MSRP. I tell him that Bronco said he'd sell it for MSRP, so please go straight and ask Bronco. Well, both Hudson and floor manager come back in a few mintues and say that they have another buyer on hold willing to pay $1200 over sticker and they would be willing to sell it to me for $1500 over sticker. I laugh and say, let me get this straight, you have someone else willing to pay $1200 over and you want me to pay $1500??? I'm thinking F*@K You. They says this with a straight face too. Well, once he said that I just walked out. I told them I wasn't paying over sticker and was told on the phone that Bronco would sell for MSRP.

As I'm driving home in my BMW, I think to myself now I know why that car has 32 miles on it and hasn't been sold.

The search continues....

2. j24816

j24816 New Member

Nearly exact same experience at MB Toyota. Offered Prius option 1 at MRSP by salesman (and they almost always are men), sit down to complete purchase, then manager comes in with: "We have person on phone willing to pay $500 over MRSP...since you are here you can have it at that price".

If you enjoy haggling, this may be the place for you, but others Beware......

3. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ May 1 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]248268[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry you had to learn first hand. Manhattan Beach Toyota is not a good dealer.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Butt-wads like that shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near Priuses,
    let alone manage paperwork for them. Sheez. Please do what you can
    to get the word about them [aside from posting here]...
    _H*

5. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I worked with Manhattan Beach Toyota on several occasions in an effort to get them to sell any one of their new priuses at MSRP. Never happened.

Hudson's a good guy, just doing his job. We've spoken quite candidly on several occasions. It's his boss / manager who is the tyrant.

Manhattan Beach Toyota has some inventory every day of the week. When they sell a Prius, they sell at 3K above MSRP. Carson Toyota also has inventory, but that is because they sell at 5K over MSRP. Santa Monica Toyota sells at MSRP, but there is indeed a waiting list.

I ended up buying private party because of the negative experience with the SoCal dealers.

I heard that Manhattan Beach Toyota is going away, too. Something about the owner of the property wanting to develop it, and the MB Toyota business dealer wants to move some place else.

My 2 cents

6. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

Thousand Oaks Toyota, too.

They mark up $3k, plus they add Chrome Wheels for $4k, and you can't say no.

Hollywood Toyota and Oxnard Toyota both sell at MSRP. Hollywood wanted $2k deposit, Oxnard, 5%.

7. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would love to see a store-by-store comparison of who is moving the most new cars off their floor.

Santa Monica Toyota was packed with people wheeling and dealing, parking was terrible, but inventory is different each time I drive by. They are selling everything they get in, no doubt - even with the waiting list.

Again, if you want it at MSRP and can wait, I'd go there, and NOT Manhattan Beach or Carson Toyota.