1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealing a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick Grahn, May 13, 2007.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can this be true? Does the fob make the Prius less vunerable to this?

My sister sent this to me...seems like they would require I.D. of some sort...

Attention everyone….Information brought to my attention through one of my Neighborhood Watch Groups…..Please be aware and remember we need to be thinking about safety and crime prevention as naturally as we all brush our teeth!!!! Thanks for your assistance in getting the word out to all your neighbors…we need to be one step ahead of the bad guys!
    Here is info worth the price of your car....WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all... The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. My friend didn't believe this, so she called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended she had lost her keys. They told her to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut her one on the spot, and she could order the keyless device if she wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn’t have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy.
    To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (Electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN NUMBER. This can also be done when you have parked your car for the day at a shopping mall, hospital, or work place parking lot!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the first place, Prius owners who have lost or damaged their fobs can account to the awful trouble they had getting a new one and (here's the kicker) getting the Electrical Control Unit reprogrammed.

Secondly, please use the "search" function and use the key word "steal." This topic comes up from time to time.

Lastly, read this: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The original post has all the appearance of an email urban legend.

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 13 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]441000[/snapback]</div>

It is a hoax from 2003. Check out the link to treandmicro.com

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoa...Hoax&Page=8

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even if in standard cars this was true (which it isn't, but that's beside the point), with the Prius this would not be a problem because of the fob issue.

6. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Heh heh heh, if you think just getting the ECU reprogrammed for a new fob, (immobiliser and Smart Key) just wait until they go to cut the tiny manual key. My parts department usually needs 2-3 tries to get them cut properly.