1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealing RFID chip-equippped cars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not Prius-specific, but Wired has an interesting article about RFID-equipped cars being stolen, and the trouble owners are given by insurance companies who doubt that the "unstealable" cars were actually stolen.

Interesting point: that some transponder-equipped cars came with a secret "cheat" code designed to allow people who lose their keys to drive back to the shop. Is the Prius so equipped?

2. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder where the backdoor is on a Prius. There must be one, not everyone remembers to leave their FOB when they drop it off for service.

3. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I would never have guessed the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid would have such a backdoor... it does make me wonder whether the Prius has one. According to the article, with the Civic there is a way you can bypass the transponder and start the car by doing a certain sequence of emergency brake actions. To get the sequence that works for your car you would have to give the VIN to a dealer (or someone who has access to dealer computer systems).

I would guess (hope) that Toyota wouldn't have left such a backdoor in, since with the Prius you don't even need a mechanical key to get in. So having such a backdoor would leave the Prius more exposed than the Civic.