1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth Mode at Highway Speeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WilMent, Mar 1, 2013.

1. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I have only been driving my Prius for a month. I have been paying close attention the to the Car energy usage screen. I have been noticing the car (while on cruise control) entering into stealth mode (Engine seemingly off and power getting drawn from battery only w/ about 3/4 bar on EV) on the highway @ 60mph going down a slight decline. I have been trying to mimic this on my own w/o the cruise control, but no matter what I try (P+G and other techniques) I cannot get the same results, any ideas?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When the engine isn't consuming any fuel, but it is still spinning and you are traveling faster than the "stealth" maximum, it is referred to as "warp stealth".

For true "stealth", the engine must be motionless (zero RPM) and the system in HV mode.

WilMent likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Electric-only mode has an upper speed limit, so that something doesn't overrev. Somewhere between 70 and 80 kmh, in my experience. A ScanGauge will give better feedback as to when the engine is off than the dash mpg indicator.

The dash will sometimes shows up to the top mpg, which at lower speeds likely does mean the engine's off. But at highway speeds, say on a good downgrade, while the dash may indicate 99 mpg, the scangauge will show it's idling, typically around 900. Still getting very good mileage.

Just my 2 cents, I would take EV mode as it comes, maybe chase it a bit at lower speeds, but back off when the charge starts dropping. At that point pulse-and-glide is almost as efficient, and easier on the pack.

WilMent likes this.
  4. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's what I thought, I have the Garmin ecoRoute HD coming, I've read the Scan gauges are a little more detailed and accurate but I didn't want too many additional things on the dash since I'm using an aftermarket NAV already. And my phone is not so "smart" for the other app options.

"Warp Stealth" My Prius is getting more and more "Nerdy Cool":cool:

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To simulate what is happening when in CC and going down a hill simply apply just enlighten throttle to keep the HSI energy bar in the first 1/4 of the display like this:

image.jpg

This is the same display you want to see when doing a true glide or warp stealth.

The key to great FE on the highway is learning to Drive with Load or maintain your speed going uphill but warp stealth on the downhill.

Want to know more about Driving with Load (DWL)? - CleanMPG Forums

WilMent likes this.
  6. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I see, I was confused before because the cruise control also starts off at a similar energy bar position 1/4 or less, but it was able to increase to 3/4 without the engine coming on (red arrows) When I try to do it at the same part of the highway (between P+G) pressing down really gently, the red arrows comes right back on.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The take home message is stop look at the arrows. They are useless on the GenIII. :)

8. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I am still new to the Prius, at highway speeds, the noises and vibrations on the road mask the smooth transition of the ICE pretty well. I'll be able to sense the ICE coming on or idling without the gauges soon enough:D

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy a Scangauge. :) That's all you need. When mpg hits 9999 you know the engine is not comsuming fuel.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ You can also set one of the gages to RPM. Kinda frustrating Prius doesn't have a tach.

WilMent likes this.
  11. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    :( Ordered the ecoRoute HD, I know I know the scangauge is better, trust me you don't want me on the road with even more screens on the dash :ROFLMAO:

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. 0 RPM for engine off and 992 RPM for warp stealth. :)

13. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    YES!!! I don't care even if my future car is full electric, I still want an rpm like gauge on the electric motor!

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    3 would be needed... there's an engine, a small motor/generator, and a large motor/generator... each with the their own RPM values. The latter 2 can run backward (negative values) too. So, it's not as simple as one would expect. Knowing the coolant temperature in numeric format is very informative data too.

Fortunately, it's only $25 to add yourself. Get a Bluetooth adaptor to display the values on your smart-phone.

Be thankful we now (starting in 2012) have an indicator showing when the engine is off. Previous models didn't.

Mendel Leisk and WilMent like this.
  15. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yup, I can't wait to start checking out mine :)

16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

In Warp Stealth Mode is limited to about 46 mph, above that speed at 60 mph and the ICE willautomatically goes on - at a minimum of 992 RPM which is burning about .30-.50 gallons per hour.

However, the situation you are referring to is a very special situation when the High Voltage(HV) battery State of Charge (SoC) is greater than 73% - this translates to having all 7 bars light up on the Hybrid system indicator(HSI) SoC display. When this happens there is a risk that the HV battery could be damaged by overcharging. To extend the lifespan and performance of the HV battery - the onboard computer works to keep the HV battery SoC between 50% to 70%. Some where when the HV SoC goes over 70% to 75% the Prius onboard computer will temporarily turns off cruise control(CC) and turns off the gasoline engine(ICE) to prevent it from over charging the HV battery. If you have CC on - the dashboard CC indicator light will still be on but the CC has been internally and temporarily dis-engaged - to test this out if you can turn off the CC at this point - you will find that you not be able to turn the CC back on as long as the SoC is over 75% (I encourage you to test this out) - never fear your CC is not broken but just temporarily electronically disabled. To lower the HV battery SoC back to a safer level, the Prius onboard computer will only allow the electric motors to run UNTIL the HV battery SoC drops below 70% at which point CC is then restored and the ICE is re-enabled. I became acquainted with this undocumented *feature* on one of my +600 mile road trips when my ScangaugeII Xgauge SoC =78% and the Prius was going 70 mph in all electric mode along a downhill stretch of road. When your Prius SoC >73% and the Prius is in this all electric mode, the electric motors will whine very loudly (and at-least to me it sounded like a *Star Trek* Warp engine right before it goes super critical and explodes).

The driver can manually avoid recharging the HV battery by putting the transmission into neutral or B mode when braking.

hope this helps

Walter lee

WilMent likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've noticed once in a while, and it could be my eyes are deceiving me, the car will stay in electric-only propulsion even though my gas pedal pressure is enough to push the HSI display bar a bit beyond the mid-way mark. I think this occurs when the state of charge is near or at full. Maybe another tactic the car has to limit charge?

18. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, for the info. I am still such a newbie, you made me realize the fact that I have not even counted the total number of fuel bars let alone the battery bars. I am pretty sure it was not all full and was at least 1-2 bar used, >73% sounds about right. I drive 60%highway and 40%local on my 14 mile one way commute. I let the Prius do the full startup and wait till engine comes off to drive in the cold mornings (I usually come home with less <50% battery), and the charge is usually back to 2-3 bars from full. I usually P+G locally and go stealth @ local 40mph limit. By the time I enter the highway, I am at 2-3 bars, some times just turn purple. About 4-5 miles on the Highway, the battery charge back to about 2 bars off, that is where that decline comes in. I just drove it today and paid more attention to it. I definitely felt the ICE stopped propelling the vehicle, I couldn't tell if it was idling or not. I didn't notice the addition "Star Trek" sound from the electric motor, I've heard it before but not during this scenario. I'll have to wait for my ecoRoute to come in to confirm what it's actually doing, and further experiment on more efficient driving techniques. Thanks again.

19. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If it wasn't on EV mode then Walter explained the near full charge scenario.