1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Stealth" Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daniel, Mar 15, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've just started to wonder about our use of the term "stealth mode" to refer to driving on battery power alone. Certainly, it seems justified when creeping slowly out of a space in a parking lot, and pedestrians seeing a silent and stationary car don't imagine that it can begin moving without first starting the engine.

But we use the term also when we are cruising along at 35 mpg and we manage to feather the pedal just right and the engine cuts off. The electric motor is by no means silent, or maybe it's the transmission I hear, and the noise of wheels on road is more than audible, and the ICE itself is pretty darn quiet.

So is the car really significantly quieter at 35 mph on electric than on the ICE? I don't know because I've never seen a Prius in motion that I was not driving. I'm rather possessive about not letting other folks drive mine. But perhaps we should limit our use of the term "stealth" to those low-speed situations when there really isn't much noise.

What do you think?

2. cybele

cybele New Member

Well, my dog thinks the car is quieter.

I live on a hill. Not at the tippy top, just over the top. So when I come home from work I coast the last block to the house and down the driveway. For many years I thought my dog recognized my car, but it seems that she actually recognizes the sound of my car.

When I come over the top of the hill in stealth and park without any more noise than rolling over the odd leaf in the driveway, she has no clue I'm home. I'm usually traveling at about 20 MPH on the street and only 10 in the driveway. It's damn quiet. Especially if you don't use the AC.

I now know for sure that my dog sleeps on the bed when I'm not home. I don't even wake her.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive down my neighbourhood in stealth as well. My dogs do recognize the car, as I can watch them perk up and run to the opposite side of the yard when they see me rolling up to the house.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if it's fact or not, but I read that road noise is usually louder than engine noise in a modern vehicle any time the car is traveling over 25mph.

Still, it's pretty darn quiet.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right. The only vehicles where I hear the engine over the tires, are the ones that have had aftermarket exahust systems installed.

6. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

The main ingredients of vehicular noise is the tires, the aerodynamic turbulence, and the ICE's air intake. The last is a contributing factor when you see an air inlet tract tract that is contorted more than you would think necessary. Still, above 30 MPH or so, tires become the biggest factor.

7. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Sorry, I don't want to give up my "stealth" mode at 55 mph. That's one of my favorite things about the car. Hey, when you're in your 50s (age, not mpg), you take your thrills where you find them! :wink: Besides, what do you propose we call it?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, at 55mph the ICE is still running...true stealth (ICE off) only occurs below 43mph. I think the old prius group called Stealth over 42mph "Hyper-stealth".

9. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Up here in the (as the Republican National Committee calls it) "Soviet of Washington", us Tree Huggers will NEVER, NEVER relinquish our hard-fought (and bought) right to use Stealth At Any Speed.

Any attempts to rob us of this right will have us manning barricades at the Jimmy Hendrix Experience Museum. Red Banners will be festooned from the top of the Space Needle by base jumpers.

And we'll jam daffodils in the wire reels of the stun guns...

Nah, let's keep Stealth as an all-encompassing idiom, sort of like, in New Jersey, where they say, "Fuggeddaboudit".

Bob

10. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

I know that I have read that, but the Energy Monitor shows that the ICE is shut off and only the battery is powering the car giving me 99.9 mpg for that stretch.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, that's deceptive. The ICE is/must run at those speeds to RPM constrictions of the planetary gear system and motors. It's essentially idleing and thus consuming very little fuel and therefore the 99.9mpg is true. The display does not show a true representation of the ICE running, just whether it is actively supplying power to the wheels, motor, or battery; which it is doing none of those while idleing. If you hook up a tachometer you can see that the ICE is, indeed turning.

12. mboileau

mboileau New Member

John1701a.com has a great flash presentation for the planetary gear system which shows the motion of each gear and the system in various modes of operation. For me, a moving picture's worth a thousand words, and it helped explain what I feel/hear.

As for the dog opinion, my two horse-size monsters are behind a fence during the day and were used to howling up a storm when Dad came home from work. They could definitely pick out the engine sound over the neighbor's cars or passers-by. Now as I slink through the neighborhood and roll into the driveway, they're clueless. When I've bought a new car before, they were usually able to adapt and learn the new 'sound' in about a week. This time they're really confused!

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why not just call it Electric? That's what it is. Besides, "stealth" sounds sneaky and underhanded. Anyway, the Prius is a gas-electric hybrid: sometimes it runs in gas mode, sometimes in electric mode, and sometimes (most often) both together, i.e. hybrid. And even if you like the military sound of "stealth," the term clearly only makes sense at low speeds, when tire noise is insignificant.

As for the dogs, it may just be that individual engines are more distinctive than individual tires.

For me, it's "electric mode" when the ICE shuts off from now on.

14. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Not to be confused with EV mode, which is enabled via the factory-installed switch not available in the US. Not sure 'electric mode' and 'EV mode' are distinct enough...

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Same thing. Pushing the EV button puts it in electric mode. Asking for too much power or speed or letting the battery get too low takes it out of electric mode. Similarly, we've all learned to get it into electric mode by feathering the pedal, but only under the right circumstances; otherwise it won't, and in any case, it then goes out of electric mode under the same conditions as above.

The EV button just makes it easier to go into electric mode, and asks the car to remain in electric mode as long as the computer allows. Either way, electric mode means the car is electric powered. The EV button makes it easier and allows you to extend it a bit.