1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealthing the Stealth Mode.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Jul 23, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello. New Prius driver. I'd like to start off by saying i'm no mechanic, but I am a computer technician, if that helps in anything i'm about to say.

I wanted to start this topic to get some brainstorming ideas and finally a complete idea of how to install the EV mode OEM button or Coastal Tech (is there any other? Seriously, is there?) Cruise Control switch for the Prius. It doesn't stop there, though, the ideas jump further into it by gathering together all information we need to hide this truth from Toyota if in the case of a Warrantee repair. We uninstall the switch and leave no evidence that it was ever there when taking it in to service. Is this possible? I guess we'll see.

Let the topic begin!!

I'll start off. Those of you with either of the switches, do you feel if you uninstalled them that you could leave your car with 0 traces of it ever having been there? Any Technicians out there please feel free to step in and help us in this insightful thread.

I, for one, want to leave this thread one day with the knowledge of having an OEM EV mode switch which I can just take out when I want to take my car in to servicing.

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1. Pop OEM switch out of dash and replace blank cover
    2 Remove wire-taps from dimmer wire.
    3. Slip connector (and wire) out of H14 Ecu plug.

10 min. max. Clean Sweep, Like to see 'em prove otherwise.

If I go to the dealer for anything, I'll pop the switch out and replace blank. 15 sec. max. I got some old credit card slivers that will unlatch the switch retaining clips with no dash disassembly.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Google 2004 Prius EV mod or it might be on Calcars. It will show you where to extract an unused free pin and how to hook it into your daytime flasher light. I started with that mod and all I needed was a 5' piece of 22 gauge wire, and some solder. I had that stuff so my first EV button was invisible and free.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You choice of topic title is very misleading.

STEALTH is not the same as EV.

Stealth is what all Prius always have available automatically. Maximum speed is higher than EV, but the maximum draw from the battery-pack is lower.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem for me is the wire taps. I used the telephone T-taps that literally punched into the wires. Oh sure I could remove them but there would still be holes in the wires. Right?

6. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 23 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]483912[/snapback]</div>
    This is specifically why I started this thread. I don't have any of the mods and want them, but would like to do it in such a way where it would be impossible, for the most part, for them to find anything that shows i had anything there.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jul 23 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]483925[/snapback]</div>
    I used magnetic switches for my nav override and my bluetooth override but they will see the splices. You are going to want to back the pins out on your projects and install new wires with pins the just put a switch between the wire that has been backed out and the wire that goes to the new pin. One day you will have to remove your addition and place the original pin back in the connector.

I also saw one mod where the person soldered a very small speck of solder to the wire end of a pin. That way they could always remove the tap and no one would be the wiser.

Here I am a year and a half later and I have big red letters on the side of my car that say Plug-in Hybrid. I guess what I am trying to say that in the beginning I was very cautious like you and then as I understood more about the car and how well built it is, I gave up on worrying about voiding the warranties.

Here is the link for a very good and cheap! Hidden EV mod is on page 19 under "Headlight Flasher EV" by Evan Fusco

PDF on a free EV mod.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 23 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]483912[/snapback]</div>
    In order to wire-tap the dimmer wires, one must pull back an adhesive insulator over the wires. If you remove the taps, you'd smooth the insulator back into place over the wires and those tiny "holes" would be hidden.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Another (fairly cheap) method is to use your own push-button and run a wire (with it in the middle) from pin #27 to ground. You can hide the button anywhere you want to.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]483951[/snapback]</div>
    I just had a thought. I wonder if I could get some sort of remote reciever to receive a signal from one of the home link buttons on the mirror to activate EV mode. Maybe pull it out of an old garrage door opener or some home automation module that could be powered from the 12 V system.

Probably should just add a radio shack swith in an inconspicuous place.

11. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I would think that if a dealer/service tech wanted to know if you ever used EV mode, they could chk the computer log as how many times " not able to engage ev mode at this time " showed up. The computer logs and stores all . I have heard

12. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 24 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]484065[/snapback]</div>

Ah cr@p. Is this true? If so, parties over for me. Haha, atleast till I, a 22 year old 'this is my first car' driver wants to give up his warrantee.