1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steel Coolant pipe/flange squeezed/crushed, how to repair??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jameschicks, Mar 6, 2019.

1. jameschicks

jameschicks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure what its called, but my '12 prius has been driving weird lately, struggling to make power, having trouble climbing hills and seemingly having to work harder... difficult to achieve and maintain 55 on the freeway. decided to poke around under the hood today, and noticed this..:

[​IMG]

...its the steel pipe that is under the EGR valve and to the left of the inverter... the small fitting that connects to the rubber cooling line that skirts the air intake box is crushed or squeezed at the bend, not totally blocked but certainly constrained in terms of coolant flow.

heres a shot of an undamaged example of the same part (courtesy of my "parts" 2010 that lurks in my driveway)...

[​IMG]

could anyone venture a guess as to what effect this condition could have on my car? lack of power, coolant starvation, etc? should i attempt to right the bent fitting with some vice grips, bend it back into its original shape as much as possible? swap it with the good example from the parts car? i know it would involve dumping coolant, how hard would it be to get that piece out?

any advice or insight would be appreciated friends, thanks in advance.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I would leave it alone since it’s just a small dent

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's only a small kink, and if it did not happen lately then it's not the problem. If the coolant restriction was significant you would experience overheating. Look to the EGR circuit.

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check for a restricted exhaust.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Question is, how to it get dented? Its in such a small tight place.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you're seeing two versions of one part manufactured two different ways.

The "dented" one got those dents when the tubing was bent on a crush bender. The "undented" one went through a nice mandrel bender. Toyota probably has several suppliers and the bend type isn't likely to be critical to performance.

Montgomery and Robert Holt like this.