1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steep end-of-driveway scraping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stock, Oct 9, 2008.

1. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Any economical fix to the problem of the Prius scraping at the end of a steep drop off of my driveway? Departing at an angle helps as suggested but does not cure the problem.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you can use them, Home Depot sells rubber gutter "ramps" that go into the street gutters.

Other than that I know of no way to "raise" the Prius for better ground clearance. It's low for mileage (aerodynamics).

3. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks DB. Do you have a link to view what it looks like?

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might try backing in. I have the same problem, ans backing in seems to help. Go slow too. I would like to see the ramps too, but they'd probably get stolen, unless they were really heavy.

5. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would a 2X4 work? My neighbor uses one and it's a cheap, but not aesthetically pleasing, solution.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The ones Home Depot sell are made of recycled rubber. They have a "V" bottom and flat top with some ribbing. They are about a foot wide and 3" deep at the "V" peak. They are one car lane width long. They have holes to bolt them down, and a drain groove at the "V" peak.

We had to get the guys at Home Depot look them up, as they didn't know they sold them.

I've also seen a 2X4 with a 2X6 or 2X8 fastened to the top in some gutters. The rubber ones are nicer but I suppose they have problems (snowplows IF the city ever plows your street ;) ). Once bolted down they tend to not walk away. They're heavy too. Which helped to discourage thieves.

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what part of the car would scrape? is it just the black peice under the air dam? isnt that part softer to yeild anyway?

8. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks. Anyway you could post part #? ~Cost?