1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering / Alignment Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jonny Zero, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Since about the 10K mark, I have noticed this steering issue. It tracks straight ahead, on various “flat” surfaces, with the steering wheel about 5 degrees to the right. If I point it straight ahead, it would actually pull to the left slightly. It seems the wheel wants to return to the 5 degree to the right position, as the neutral position. The car would track straight, on a road crowned down to the right. The tire pressure is 38/36 cold, checked weekly with a calibrated gauge.

So I took it into the dealer @ the 15K service. They were good enough to do an alignment under warranty. They found the right toe to be out, and fixed it. See the screenshot of the alignment attached.

Trouble is, it really did not fix the issue. They did not mention anything about doing a steering torque zero point calibration after the alignment. Which I think might be the issue. Also, I do not know if they locked the steering wheel at the dead center position, when they performed the alignment.

I also noticed on the alignment, the total toe range, is not symmetrical. It is from 0 - .40. Would this give it a direction bias?

Should I take it back, ask for the alignment to be redone, and the steering torque zero point calibration to be done? Or do you think this is just the nature of the beast and don't fix anything until it is broken?

Align.jpg

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    JZ,

That steering torque zero point calibration video was something new to me.
    I'd take it back and poke them inthea until they look up and perform the procedure.

Good luck, you may be the first one to get this service!

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Taking it in for this in a bit. I just took a measurement of the ride height in my garage (flat concrete surface) after verifying the tire pressures, the driver side front is 1/4 lower than the passenger front? Could a spring / struct be failing and causing this? Will see what the dealer says.

For the record I only weight 160 +/- 5 lbs. :)

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Took it in today, they realigned it and it took care of most of the issue. I'd say it is still 1/2 deg off but way better than before so I am not going to obsess over it. They said the tech probably did not have the steering wheel dead center when they did the last alignment. They also washed the car even I did not ask for one. All took care under warranty. :)