1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Column Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by alsleepr, Aug 29, 2009.

1. alsleepr

alsleepr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took my 2008 Prius in for service, due to a whistling noise. A computer error was noted, and the part replaced.

Yesterday I was able to get my car, and the steering column felt stiff, with a somewhat grinding feel, and faint noise to that effect, upon turning the column 90 degrees. The steering column assembly had been removed for repair of the defective part.

I left the service department for them to further investigate the problem; and of course, they do not hear or feel the problem.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a change from the feel of the steering when I left the car with them, but it is difficult as a female to make my point and concerns valid to them.

Thanks!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you pls look at the repair invoice and list the part numbers and descriptions of replaced parts. Also, post any DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) that had been logged.

Regarding the steering column grinding feel and noise, is this constant or does that symptom come and go?

3. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would be interesting to have some feedback on this issue, as I have the same symptoms and I am pretty sure it's the PS motor grinding. For me it's constant but I can only feel/hear it when slowly turning the wheel when stationary and in a quiet environment.