1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering knock

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Kindke, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    In last few days Ive noticed a "knock" when turning the steering wheel from dead straight a few degrees after being stopped or parked for a short period. It does not happen while driving or turning, it seems to only get reset when stopping or being parked for a short period

Its incredibly annoying, the guy in this video actually describes the problem very well

This is in addition to the slight squeaking I am hearing from the steering column while turning thats been going on for few months now,

This is making me believe that some part of the steering column needs re-greasing to fix both issues.

I have a 2017 Gen 4 prius with 60k miles.

I couldnt find any guide online to re-grease column for my model so thinking of taking it to the garage.

If anyone has encountered this before and fixed the knocking issue please let me know.

2. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2020 had the squeaking from new, intermittent. My old Venza had a case of the knocks. Both fixes are new steering columns I think. I sold both of these. My present 2020 hasn’t had this. It must not be common as the part number never changed like on the Venzas.