1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering making noise on full lock.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aminorjourney, Jun 7, 2008.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,

I'd just like to share my experiences recently with my 04 Prius, which some of you may know we purchased a week or so ago.

She developed a horrible 'clack' when accelerating out of a junction with the steering on full lock. Obviously, becaue the Prius is so quiet we happened to hear it one day when the windows were down. I doubt I'd have heard it in a regular car.

Checking with the local dealer they discovered that the CV joints and driveshaft need replacing. Luckily for me we'd purchased the car from an approved Toyota garage. That means a one year waranty on any problems so we'll not have to pay for the repair!

The 04 has 66,700 miles on the clock and has been part of the factory recall for the steering issue which affected that year. Why the CV joints failed I'm not sure, but there you are. If your car makes that strange noise on full lock and under acceleration that's what it could be.

Our 07 hasn't ever made that noise, but we'll keep our ears open for it!

Nikki.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is important to check the rubber boots on the CV joints are not torn at each service, if they are cleaning, repacking and fitting new boots to the CV joints can help prevent their early demise. The biggest problem for CV joints is dirt entry through torn boots. My Camry had both original CV joints when I sold it with 290,000km on it although I did change both boots during their lifetime.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    must be a european thing-- full lock. what exactly is full lock?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you fully turn the steering wheel either counter clockwise or clockwise, so that the wheel no longer can turn.

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have never done that Patrick. It seems like abuse of the steering to me. why would anyone do it routinely?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would have to ask Nikki. The reason I might need to use full lock is when parallel-parking the vehicle or perhaps when executing a U-turn.

If you want to test the constant-velocity joints in a front-wheel drive vehicle, doing what she did is a great way to expose any weaknesses.

7. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Sheepdog,

It's a UK think. We've got tiny little roads here and if we pull out of our driveway you need to use full lock to actually get the car to get onto the road without mounting the sidewalk! *

It's also something you end up doing lots when you park. Parallel parking (in streets) or reverse/forward parking in lots. In fact, the Prius nearly takes up an entire lot space where we are!

*certainly true for our subdivision, where the roads are barely wide enough for one car, let alone two!

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You most likely use full lock when making a U turn. It isn't harmful to the steering or the car but you shouldn't pull the steering wheel hard against the stop as that loads the power steering.

9. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no - We don't do that :)

As I said, small roads... tight corners. There's one road near us that you can barely get around the corner without doing a three-point turn!