1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering nut recall fix took a month!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by backbob, Aug 31, 2011.

1. backbob

backbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted my original frustrating day at the dealership, but wanted to offer the final story. After the original 8-5:30 day at the dealer they could not get the steering to "zero out" so I had to leave it and drive home a loaner car. They ordered a whole new rack and pinion steering gear assembly (which took about 2 weeks) and installed that...it would not zero our. So, they ordered ANOTHER BRAND NEW steering gear assembly and steering ECU and replaced both and finally, 30 days later, it finally zeroed out.

All this on a car that had never had any steering problems of any kind. They told me mine was the first they did, and that they've done a dozen others with no problem, but that they have one other Prius going through the same sries of replacing the whole steering system twice and the ECU.

At least it seems to be working fine, like it did before I took it.

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey Bob,
    sorry you have experienced this. Wow, that is precisely why I have held off doing the recall on my car. I am afraid that they are going to "find something" and end up screwing up my car worse than it already is. I prefer to leave it alone, as my steering is fine. I am glad you got your car back and its working okay. As long as they pay for the damage, it was a good thing. I never ever defend dealerships, and their incompetancy is clearly demonstrated in this case. I had to take my car in two times before they got my steering wheel to align properly, after paying to get an alignment done. The car came back worse than when I brought it in! Good job though and hopefully she will give you many more years of service. I always say this about Toyota, "Their cars are as good as their service is bad!"