1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering problem 2001 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jh3463, May 2, 2011.

1. jh3463

jh3463 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2001 Prius from a dealer last month. I got it for the gas savings. This is my first Prius and I've already put two Oxygen sensors on. I work on the vehicle myself (money reasons) and try to learn all I can in the process.

Here is the problem;
    I'm teaching my 15 year old daughter how to parallel park. After approximately 2-3 attempts the steering becomes hard to handle and it seems to happen only when backing and turning at the same time. Any ideas on what i can check? I already know that there is no hydraulic power steering so no fluid to check. I cannot afford to take it to a dealer (again money issues) and I'm only trying to do what is right by my family. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. bigoilhater

bigoilhater New Member

I bought a 2002 Prius about 3 years ago and have learned a lot about them in that time. As for the steering issue; First thing I learned about Prius' is that the first generation (2001 to 2003) had power steering issues with the "rack". I was relieved to see in the service history for my car that the steering rack was replaced under warranty at around 30,000 miles in 2005 I believe it was. Hope this helps.