1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering problem or something else??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ikklesmiler, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ikklesmiler

ikklesmiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi

I picked up my 53 plate (2004 model) Prius last week, and have noticed that sometimes (not everytime) when I turn the steering wheel to full lock (either way) it sometimes makes a clicking sound... I dont think its the CV joints, but im wondering if its anything else? or if its completely normal even?

I dont know wether it makes the noise when the engine is running, but i have noticed it when the cars on battery....

Ann Marie

editing to this post today...

The clicking sound is still there... it seems to happen when the car is running on battery and i am turning a corner...the clicking starts just as the engine comes in... it sounds like its coming from the front of the car... somewhere around the wheels... its really beginning to annoy me as i dont know what it is...

I hope someone can help me... im beginning to worry now...

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  3. ikklesmiler

ikklesmiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just had a Toyota serviceman take me and the car for a test drive... Seems its probably the cv joints that are on thieir way out.. fortunately the car is under warrenty from the dealer I purchased it from, So am just waiting for a call from them to see if thats covered..

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If the problem is found only a week after picking up from the dealer then I think it ought to be covered under warranty.

5. ikklesmiler

ikklesmiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I thought that too, but apparently this may not be the case, the warranty is from an outside company (its an aftersales warranty..so doesnt cover everything) who are saying if the problem was there when I picked up the car then that makes the warranty invalid and I have to argue it with the dealer... If the problem was not there and has just started then it may be covered, but i have to have it checked by a garage and they have to call the warranty people and explain what the prob is and then they will decide if the warranty covers it... I havnt even recieved the paperwork for the warranty yet so I have no idea what is covered.

:confused::eek:

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Don't we "love" the sleazy car business people! :mad:

I think

1. Steering is a critical mechanical function of a car. A steering problem is a serious problem that ought to be covered by the seller's warranty for at least 3 months.

2. If the problem is pre-existing and the dealer ignores to tell the buyer, then the buyer ought to have the right to return the car.

3. If the problem develops within a week of sale, then it ought to be fixed under warranty.

Therefore no matter the problem is pre-existing or not it ought to be fixed without charge to the buyer.

I won't be easily misled by whatever warranty fine print they come up with. I would look for local consumer protection organizations for guidance and help. Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. ikklesmiler

ikklesmiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much for your reply... I may very well use some of your points if I have to take this matter further.. which I will do if its not sorted out, as you say steering is a critical function of the car and over here in the UK the law states that if you are sold something thats not working to its purpose you have a right to have it repaired or returned and refunded... and the CV joints are critical to the steering, if they actually fail totally I will lose all steering, so that would make the product (car) not being fit for its purpose....

We have citizens advice over here, which is basically free legal advice to give you your rights and help in taking steps to sort out legal problems, so I will definately be talking to them if the car is not fixed under warranty, im just so upset that I got the car I part exchanged fixed up to proper working order before i exchanged it and now I have the same problems with this car..
    We had to borrow money from a family member to buy the car and now wqe have all this to deal with....its really heartbreaking :(

Thanks again for your advice and I will post with any more news.

Ann Marie