1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering problem :

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kye04, Oct 30, 2013.

1. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hi. I have both second hand a prius made in 2010 . The car is full options for europe (JBL, sunroof, IPA , radar cruise control etc). But i had a problem with it since i bought it. The car always try to steer right. At the beginning i sad it`s because of rims. Got new rims with new tyres . Problem persist.
    Went to toyota to check the car and the wheeels geometry. Everything is perfect. The car has not been crushed . Nobody has any ideea why it`s doing this.
    I found a "solution" but it is not what i like: i put 2,5 bar in right wheels and 2,0 bar in left. Now the car is not going right so much anymore , but still i can feel it curves easier to right when left.
    Anybody had any similar problem or any ideea ??
    Toyota said they don`t know...

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My steering issues were nothing like what you experience. Mine were down to a failing steering motor, usually around 30,000 miles. It would start to judder on quick lock to lock (quick left to right and back) steering such as when reversing off a drive into a tight road, quickly correcting to straight and then setting off. When the motor was starting to fail, there'd be a slight stiffness or heaviness which just got worse and worse before being quite dangerous. The steering was light when driving at 30 mph but turn the wheel more than an inch or two and it would be heavy as if without power assistance or at least very mild assistance. When at low speeds it was virtually undriveable. Appears the UK gen3 t3 (similar to the US I, II, or III) had a lower spec steering motor which the higher spec cars didn't have. Theirs was a different motor which doesn't appear to have the issues. My understanding is that ALL the UK/Euro spec Prii now how the uprated motor to help reliability. Doesn't help the older gen3's though.

The car never pulled over to one side or another. You do need to get a full 4 wheel alignment done and make sure your tyres are all at correct pressure first. You may have hit a pot hole or curb but your car does sound out if it's pulling that violently.

3. communist

communist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah. same here. im really getting pissed off by toyota. for now the only solution i see is that i sit in my prius and drive to japan! nobody knows how to fix this problem.

4. communist

communist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    its been some time now... i wanted to share my experience and results with all of you because for some reason idiots at toyota dealership think they know everything and charge me for it but know nothing!...
    i've gotten myself an app called TorquePro for a few bucks. the app clearly showed me the steering sensor has a 0.6° of un allignement difference. i confronted the dealership and they said that i shouldn't trust some apps while their diagnose program doesen't show anything. they even made the wheel allignement 2 times and all sorts of bullsheet. 3 times i've been there they charged me over 500€ in total and did nothing exept carwash... uff that was an expensive car wash. they said i can't trust some app!?!?!? fu.k i'm pissed off even after a year! well i trusted SOME app that SOME legend programmer put together - 2 thumbs up! - and paid for it a few bucks and guess what.... it was spot on! the wheel sensor inside the steering wheel was faulty. when a mechanic was dismantling my prius.... i could have had a heart attack.... why? because it looked liked he was going to put my interior to pieces... and because of SOME app!!! uff i was paranoic... probably more so because i feared that if something goes wrong.... well.... back to toyota dealership for another hefty payout. the mechanic... 2nd legend. he charged me 150€ for the work (TOYOTA 400 OR MORE) plus his steering sensor 120€ (AT TOYOTA NEW 426EUR) from a totalled prius with 170000km. 270eur and guess what!!! my PRIUS goes in a straight line again... finally! no need for another allignement! nothing! just drive! and for a drive i went! and my mechanic got a fair 80€ tip. so 350€ plus 500+ at toyota for nothing totals roughly 900eur. at toyota it would cost me the same only i would have a brand new sensor. Tank you toyota! tank you, tank you, tank you. Yes! I would TANK YOU! now moving to the end skipping all sorts of bullsheet.
    i replaced the hybrid battery with a 2nd gen prius that i've posted on forum as well. there i wrote about my final visit to toyota dealership. and it was because of this problem that i was having with steering also besides the battery gone bad. well... in the end i give them both fingers while loudly screaming thieves and good for nothing wannabes while walking backwards. like in movies hahaha LOL. i've triped over something and fell.... hahaha gues what... a b.tch and two others morons laughed.... and i didnt feel embarrased at all. i was full of my self. stood up put up both my hands and did the fingers again only this time i shouted.... put a renault sign on your roof its all you're good for!
    i love toyota!
    i hate toyota service!
    almost sold my toyota because of it never to come back!

My advice to everyone is
    Youtube is your best teacher, friend and source of information.
    If Youtube doesent help you then help yourself. ask around for what you need. be annoying.

thats it from me.
    hope i wont come back to this forum for at least another 15 months or more.

#4 communist, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021