1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Question (curiousity)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dmanthree, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dmanthree

dmanthree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm curious, if you're on the road, and shut down the car using the power button, can you still steer? Given that the steering is electric, is there any change you'd lose the ability to steer the car?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Firstly, I strongly recommend you shift to N instead, it is quicker, safer, and leaves all the car's systems running.

Secondly, yes, it will take more muscle power without the power assist, but it still works.

You'd lose the ability to steer the car if you could not pull harder than usual on the wheel.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At speed there is little difference in steering feel. As you slow down, it gets harder to steer. Most power steering systems work this way, as you mostly need the assist at low speeds.

Tom

4. dmanthree

dmanthree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed about shifting to neutral, but since there is no mechanical connection between the driver and the wheels, I thought it might be possible that once the vehicle was shut down, you might lose the ability to control the wheels altogether. Not worried since my 2010 III has been perfect so far after 10,200 miles.

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The steering is mechanical with electric assist. It is not steer-by-wire. The electric assist motor takes the place of the hydraulic pump and spool valve in conventional power-assisted steering.

If you turn the car OFF, you lose the assist from the electric steering assist motor, but you retain the basic mechanical steering. As others have said, it doesn't give much assist at speed anyway - when travelling fast you want to make long slow turns, you actually don't want the assist motor to turn the wheels quickly.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your premise is wrong: there *is* a mechanical connection between the driver and the wheels. The steering is strictly mechanical, with power assist from an electric motor. The only difference between Prius power steering and normal power steering is that the power comes from electricity instead of a belt from the engine.

Tom

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've turned off the power while driving (one of the original testers to this question)... and i've had power short while driving (which turns the car off)... in both occassions it was rather easy to get the car where i wanted it.

when the car shorted out, i was going uphill on a long 180 degree turn.. with a firetruck in the oncoming lane... (two lane road)

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this at home, kids:
    Power up to IG-ON [no brake pedal, two presses of the button]
    in a flat area. No READY light.
    Shift to N.
    Have someone else push the car forward.
    Steer.
    _H*

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also thought it was steer by wire. Glad it's not. It appears also that devoid of any power you can still use the brakes on this (no I've not tried it).

So if you're pulling a Sikes and your prius won't stop you can:

Hit the brakes hard and they should shut down the throttle
    Put it into neutral
    If it's still going (it won't be), then hold power for 3 seconds and it shuts down

This is really an academic piece of knowledge, though. I don't believe any of us will ever have to use it anyway.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right, the only thing "by-wire" is the gas pedal. I don't think I would drive anything that didn't have mechanical brakes and steering.

11. demiller9

demiller9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The shift lever is "by-wire" too. No mechanical linkage or gear shifting takes place there.