1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering recall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by czjohnson, Aug 13, 2006.

1. czjohnson

czjohnson New Member

I took my 2005 Prius in the beginning of July for the recall on the steering column. When the serivce department was done, I got in my car, started to drive away and noticed they had put the steering wheel on crooked. So back I went and they fixed that. Now I get a clunk sound out of the steering column every once in awhile. Didn't have it before the recall work. Has anyone else had this problem??

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(czjohnson @ Aug 13 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]302732[/snapback]</div>
    Had ours done a few weeks ago and no problems. Since you have selected not to tell us what your location is I couldn't even provide you with a great Toyota service department where you could have the problem fixed.
    Gary

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    is it a plastic sounding clunk? they might not have secured a panel correctly.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is the recall thread: http://priuschat.com/Toyota-Prius-Special-...sue-t20240.html

You can read about successful recalls and many that were not, including mine (4 trips to the dealer and still not fixed to my satisfaction). Quite a few people had problems similar to yours. It appears a lot of Toyota dealers can't, or won't, follow instructions and refuse to check their work.

5. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(czjohnson @ Aug 13 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]302732[/snapback]</div>

Yep, I *had* a clunking sound. Just got back from the dealer. The vedict was "found steering shaft rivet to have separated causing excessive play. Replaced shaft....now working as per design."

So I'd suggest that you have it checked out.

Thanks,
    Shawn

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So a bunch of these SSC jobs are making the problem *worse*, then.
    They tell you your steering could become loose, so you bring it in
    and they make it loose *for* you. F*inwonderful.
    Phear my teeny tiny shaft,
    _H*

7. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

you should definetly take it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer and have them check it out professionally

8. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 had a clunk from the steering at low speed it was a 45260-47052 Shaft Assy, Steering - I think it is related to the SSC